Lululemon – Sweet or Sour?

After reading a post on lululemon by Matthew Anderson, I was immediately drawn. I have heard of numerous cases in which the designers and managers of a company did not believe that their clothes were meant for everyone, including Ambercrombie and Fitch, as well as Tommy Hilifiger, but I never thought that one of the brands would include lululemon. After learning so much about the company in class and their work with the environment and society, I was surprised to find out that such a socially responsible corporation could be so close-minded.

Along with Matthew and consumers of lululemon I am angered by the CEO’s statement that ” Some women just can’t wear lululemon pants”. I personally believe that it is the consumer’s decision whether they can or cannot wear a pair of pants. The statement was unnecessary and the CEO should have put more thought into before announcing it. Not only did it anger potential and existing consumers, it may also be a cause for the significant drop in stock prices (from $84 a share to $69 a share).

Lululemon is an ideal brand that showcases corporate social responsibility, I hope they can rectify this situation and continue their good work and hopefully influence other clothing companies to adopt some of the same practices.

Comment for: https://blogs.ubc.ca/matthewanderson/2013/11/08/one-sour-lemon-lululemon/