Apr 4 / ramirorejas

Marketing Thoughts

After reading several different posts from various marketing blogs, the one that caught my attention the most was from the Influential Marketing Blog, mainly because it mentioned some ideas that I have certainly thought about during Comm 296.

1. Minimalism. Personally, I prefer those products or services that have straight-forward advertising campaigns, as well as a clear marketing mix. I always choose minimalism over maximalism. Advertising should be honest and unambiguous, companies should give what they offer and packaging should be plain and explicit. I would say Apple is the company that best suits this description.

iPhone 4: minimalist, simple and straight-forward packaging.

2. Having more options is not necessarily better. Economics tends to state that a larger number of brands for the same product will increase market competition, and so benefit the consumer in the long term. I partly disagree. Personally, I dislike going to a clothing store to find about twenty different types of jeans. I am aware that more brands means that the price becomes competitive, but to be honest I would rather choose between three or four options, and not from twenty. Mainly because if I am not fully satisfied with my final decision, my sense of regret afterwards will be very high. In any case, I can barely tell the difference between most brands.

Three options. Choose one. A good deal to me.

3. Benefits are crucial. If there is one main idea that you learn in Comm 296, that is the following: costumers do not buy features, they buy benefits. As mentioned in the blog post, one of Blackberry’s competitive advantages is their physical keyboard. In terms of usage, applications, and features, they cannot really compete with other smartphones, such as the iPhone. However, RIM has managed to succeed without really heavily advertising this feature. Some customers consider this benefit invaluable, and that is the key of their success. No advertising is really necessary.

The Blackberry keyboard: the key to their success.

One Comment

leave a comment
  1. Natalie Shojania / Apr 22 2012

This is such a great way to illustrate your course takeaways, I like how you broke it down and gave an example for each!