Unit 4 Reflection Blog- Self Reflection

Unit 4 Reflection Blog – Self Assessment

Dear Reader,

By the time you read this, Unit 4 along with the remainder of my ENGL 301 class has officially come to an end. As I look back at the entirety of the course, my face is beaming with a smile that displays not only the joy I had in taking this class but also the confidence I have created in myself from all of the hard work and frustration I had to endure. ENGL 301 pushed my writing skills and appreciation of technical writing to an entirely new level. Coming into this class I had no idea how to write formal emails or memorandums. For the first time ever, I also created a formal report on a feasibility study which I am most proud of. My weaknesses in my writing coming into this class were directly related to not having the ability to communicate through writing in a professional and more technical way. This course almost seemed like the last piece of the puzzle I needed to help develop a more rounded skillset. I have left this course with the ability to eventually enter the workforce and utilize the skills I learned. Throughout this course I had to stretch my mind and learn new ways to communicate effectively and I also had the opportunity to review other peers work and also receive constructive criticism about my own writing submissions. Besides the creation of my formal report which was my greatest piece of work, I also had the opportunity to participate in creating a two business letters which consisted of a complaint letter and also a response letter. Working on this assignment allowed me to learn how to effectively convey a message in a way that exhibit respect, assertiveness and tact and diplomacy. Going forward I will definitely be using these new skills in my career in the real estate development industry.

In conclusion, I found ENGL 301 to be one of the most challenging yet enjoyable courses I have taken in my academic studies. The course was well laid out and I went into each week enjoying submitting my assignments and reviewing the work of my peers. I will defiantly have the opportunity to exhibit the new skills I have developed in my future career. As a matter of fact, I have already had the opportunity to use these new skills in my current job. I wanted to end this blog by thanking my team members from the “Penning Pals” and also Dr. Paterson for creating such an engaging and warm environment for students to learn and develop better technical writing skills. I’m forever grateful!

Unit 4 Refections Blog – Web Folio

Unit 4 Reflection Blog

As Unit 4 has come to an end, I have yet again learned a lot more about writing than I could have ever imagine. As we got to the end of Unit 4, I had the opportunity to create a Web Folio which contained almost all the work I had completed throughout this semester. To be completely honest, up until this assignment I had never knew what a Web Folio was., Therefore, creating one was defiantly a surreal experience. I chose to use my original UBC Blog and I turned it into my Web Folio. I created additional tabs that contained my resume, LinkedIn profile and examples of my best work that I was extremely proud of throughout this semester.

Going forward I will add to my Web Folio and add in reflection blogs of the remaining courses I have left in my final year. Going into this course I must admit that I wasn’t that proficient in using social platforms to not only network and communicate with people but to also showcase my work that I’m extremely proud of completing during this semester.

In conclusion, I found the process of creating a Web Folio at the end of Unit 4 to be extremely beneficial. I now have a dedicated site where I showcase my work and have a platform where I can network and reflect on the trials and tribulations of my academic studies.

Unit 3 Reflections Blog

Unit 3 Reflection Blog

As Unit 3 has come to an end, I have once again thoroughly enjoyed the exercises that it contained. I had the opportunity to start developing an outline for my formal report and by the end of the unit I had completed a formal report draft and had the opportunity to peer review my team members Taras formal report draft. However, I must admit that Unit 3 has so far been the most challenging Unit. The research process for my formal report was difficult and required me to step out of my comfort zone and really narrow in on not only the problem my formal report was based on but also on ways to develop an effective and concise solution. I had to research various municipal bylaws, development strategies and incentive programs that are available for the development of purpose-built rental apartment buildings. Although I have a background in real estate, the process of obtaining this information was new to me and I learned a lot of new information about the building and development process. The organization process for my formal report was straight forward and consisted of me putting all the information I had gathered into relevant sections and sub sections. The last part of the formal report draft process was the actual writing of the draft which was difficult and very time consuming. It took a lot of effort to not only develop the body of the formal report but to also create an appendix of relevant information.

After creating my formal report draft, we ended Unit 3 by having the opportunity to peer review our team members formal report draft. I had the opportunity to peer review my team member Taras formal report draft titled “Improving Mental Health and Wellness of Graduate Students of the Interdisciplinary Oncology Program at the BC Cancer Research Center”. After reading Taras report draft I have a new-found appreciation for the mental health issues that are prevalent with university students. Taras report provided extensive information and conveyed a clear message through the use of visual graphs and tables. Along with the visual component, Taras also provided two Q & A surveys he conducted with professionals who are trying to help solve the problem Taras addressed in his report. After the completing the review, I not only developed a better understanding of the issues Taras presented but I also thought about how I could improve upon my own formal report by incorporating creative ideas and visual graphics that Taras used in his report draft.

In conclusion, I found Unit 3 to be extremely helpful in many areas. It provided me with the opportunity to push my writing skills to new levels and forced me to not only develop better writing skills but also better critical thinking skills by identifying a complex problem and by also performing extensive research and finding a potential solution. I ended Unit 3 a better and more confident writer with a new-found skillset which I can utilize throughout the rest of my career.

My Formal Report Draft: Ranjit Dhaliwal – ENG 301 Formal Report Draft

Unit 2 Reflections Blog

As Unit 2 has come to an end, I have thoroughly enjoyed the exercises that it contained. I had the opportunity to create my own LinkedIn profile page that I never had prior to this class. I was also able to develop a list of proven tips and tricks that I could use to develop an attractive and engaging profile. Although I had heard about LinkedIn before, I never knew how great of a platform it was for networking and meeting like-minded people who possible share the same interests as me. Along with creating my own profile, I was also able to view my teammates LinkedIn profiles and get to know them better also. I’m definitely glad that I had the opportunity to be a part of this particular exercise.

We also got an opportunity to create a formal report proposal on a topic of our interest. I chose a feasibility and highest and best use analysis of a property. I picked this topic because I felt it would give me the opportunity to not only challenge myself in a topic that I am passionate about, but to also take the opportunity to better develop my report writing skills in an area where I think I will continue to pursue a career in. Although it will definitely be a challenge, I am confident that I will come out of it with a stronger writing skillset that I will keep with me for the rest of my career. After submitting my formal proposal, I received feedback from Professor Paterson which encouraged me to continue with the topic and start the research process. Professor Paterson’s feedback was positive and encouraging and validated to me that I had chosen a great topic.

After creating out formal report proposal, we had the opportunity to peer review our proposals with our teammates. Morgan Brandt and myself had the opportunity to review each other proposals. Morgan provided me with a great peer review in which she identified how I was switching from active and passive voice throughout a section of my proposal and how I had longer than normal sentences that I could have separated with commas or made into different sentences. Her feedback was encouraging and she provided lots of positive comments on the topic I chose and provided a lot of encouragement. After the peer review I went back to my formal report proposal and made some necessary changes which created an even better document.

In conclusion, I found Unit 2 to be quite helpful in many areas. It provided me with the opportunity to challenge myself and choose a topic to write a formal report on that I would have otherwise never chosen. I also had the opportunity to create a social networking profile on LinkedIn that I also never had prior. The assignments in this unit have also helped me develop a stronger set of skills and overall confidence that I will continue to use towards completing the remaining assignments in this course and thought-out my career.

My Revised Report Proposal : ENG-301-Ranj-Dhaliwal-Revised Research-Proposal

Morgan Brandt’s Peer Review of my Report Proposal : https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2019wa/2019/10/16/peer-review-ranjit-dhaliwals-proposal/

Unit 1 Reflection Blog

The Writing Process

As I look back at Unit 1, the final assignment consisted of creating an expanded definition of a term related to our own professional areas of practice or academic background. With these directions in mind I chose to define the term “capitalization rate”. Although the parenthical and sentence definition were quite straight forward, the extended definition was definitely new to me and forced me to step outside of my own comfort zone in an effort to describe a term using technical writing that I’m otherwise quite familiar with. As I began my expanded definition It became evident that although I understood what a capitalization rate is, defining it in a manner where a layperson would understand was quite difficult. Along the way I developed a deeper understanding of the many ways that this term is used, by developing examples of how its calculated and used to the way it helps identify the degree of risk in a property. By the end of the definition I was able to synthesize new information for my own understanding and hopefully for readers as well.

The Peer Review Process

I was fortunate enough to have Morgan provide me with a peer review of my writing which helped me identify areas of weakness that I wouldn’t have otherwise noticed. Morgan helped identify that although I was expanding the term “capitalization rate’, I was defining it with terms like “valuation metric” which was also a term that most non-technical readers weren’t familiar with. Morgan also helped identify the fact that although I was including a works cited section at the end of the writing, I wasn’t including in-text citations. Although a majority of my definition was developed with my own words and understanding, there were key phrases and text that I forgot to cite.

The Revision Process

During the revision process I used Morgan’s review and recommendations as a guideline on how I could enhance the readability of my writing. I provided examples of how capitalization rates are calculated where before there were none and I also created in-text citations for key phrases that I had originally forgot to add. After the review process I identified a weakness that I didn’t know I had which consisted of me viewing my writing from the lens of the reader. Although I developed my writing with the reader in mind, I wasn’t reading the completed work as a potential non-technical reader, this caused me to overlook key areas that Morgan was able to help me identify.

Conclusion

Throughout the process of this last assignment I have developed a better and deeper understanding of how to create a piece of technical writing in way that non-technical readers would be able to understand. During this process I was better able to understand topics and areas of knowledge that I thought I was familiar with. I was also able to revise my work with the help of my classmate Morgan. Her review was professional and informative but delivered in a friendly way which helped me gain more confidence in my writing. In closing, I’m excited with the amount of progress I have made and look forward to working with Morgan and my other team members in the units to come.

Parenthetical Definition – Revised

https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2019wa/2019/09/26/peer-review-of-definitions-2/

Email to prospective writing team member (3)

To: huntley.bain@gmail.com

From: ranj.dhaliwal@alumni.ubc.ca

Date: September 20, 2019

Subject: ENGL 301 Writing Team

Attachments: ENGL 301-Ranj Dhaliwal – Application Letter

Dear Huntley,

After reviewing your application letter, I would like to invite you to create a writing team.

The extensive experience you have gained in technical writing not only through your undergrad studies but also through working with large corporations is quite impressive. I also have a strong interest in business and I like your determination to do whatever it takes to be successful. Lastly, I believe your skill at being considerate and concise in regards to your writing is a skill that not only I would appreciate but it would also compliment out team.

For your review, I have attached my letter of application to this email. Please take a look at it and let me know if you would like to form a group and work together this semester. I look forward to hearing from you

Regards,

Ranj Dhaliwal

ENGL 301- Ranj Dhaliwal – Application Letter

Email to prospective writing team member (2)

Hi Tarandeep,

I am writing to invite you to join our professional writing team. After reviewing your application letter, I am confident you would be a great team member.

In your application letter, I noticed that you have an extensive background in the dentistry field. Combined with your current education I believe having a team member who has extensive experience in theoretical articles and scientific reports would complement my current skill set and add much needed depth and experience. I also noticed that you reached out to Chae Rin who I also believe would be a great fit, hopefully we can all work together. In order to determine if I’m good fit I have attached my application letter for your review.

I’m hoping you accept my invitation and I’m looking forward to working together with you and another team member this semester.

Regards,

Ranj Dhaliwal

Email to prospective writing team member (1)

Hi Chae Rin,

I appreciate your invitation to form a writing team for this semester. After reviewing your application letter, I would be glad to accept your invitation.

In your application letter and your personal invite, I noticed that we come from similar professional backgrounds yet we each have unique skills which I believe we can leverage to create a effective team. I also believe in having mutual respect for each other as team members yet holding each other accountable while creating an environment were, we can collaborate with each other with respect and integrity.

Thanks again and I’m looking forward to working together with you and another team member this semester.

Regards,

Ranj Dhaliwal

Email Memo

Memorandum

To: Dr. Ericka Paterson

From: Ranjit Dhaliwal

Date: September 17, 2019

Subject: Letter of Application Posted

Dear Dr. Paterson,

As outlined in the Instructions for Unit 1.2, I have submitted a letter of application as requested. Enclosed with this memorandum please find the full application letter that I posted.

The document summarizes the following:

• My professional experience
  • Academic achievements
  • Current strengths and weaknesses in regards to writing skills and work habits
  • Description of my learning philosophy
  • How I can be contacted

Please let me know If you have any questions. You can reach me at ranj.dhaliwal@alumni.ubc.ca

Enclosure: Application Letter

Link

Letter of Application

2329 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

September 15, 2019

ENGL 301 Technical Writing Class
University of British Columbia
#214- 1961 East Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1

Dear ENGL 301 classmates,

As a current third year student in the Bachelors of Business in Real Estate Degree Program, I am pleased to submit my application to join a writing group for the remainder of this semester.  I have outlined below my previous professional experience, along with a list of attributable strengths and weaknesses in regards to my current writing skills and work habits.

My previous professional experience working in the real estate industry has consisted of various positions that have been related to the development and construction of residential homes throughout the Lower Mainland. I have also obtained my Real Estate Trading Services License and have acted in a professional capacity for the acquisition and disposition of real estate. My current writing experience consists of writing and formatting contracts for purchase and sale, addendums, academic essays, term reports and even a full narrative appraisal report for a commercial building. I have complied a list below of both strengths and weaknesses that I have identified bout my current writing skills and work habits:

Strengths:

• Experience writing and drafting legal contracts for the purchase and sale of real estate
  • Good understanding of technical writing and communication including legal correspondence, subject clauses, condition precedents and other terms related to contract law
  • Understanding of business writing, electronic signature platforms and email communication
  • Experience in maintaining a tight schedule with multiple tasks, meeting deadlines and working in teams while engaging with all members in a collaborative and cohesive manner

Weaknesses:

• Limited experience working remotely with team members via online learning networks
  • Limited exposure to the creation and maintenance of social media platforms and blogs

My learning philosophy and style is based on spaced repetition and active recall. I like to identify the key topics and material I need to understand and I then use spaced study sessions and various forms of active recall to assimilate the information into my long-term memory. I hope the above-mentioned details about myself identify me as a great fit for your team, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me at ranj.dhaliwal@alumni.ubc.ca.

Thank you for your interest,

Ranj Dhaliwal