Commenting on Peer’s Blog- lingerie, consmetics, pedicures for little girls

Jours Apres Lunes- lingerie for girls (from Iris’s blog)

After reading Iris Zhou’s blog on “Jours Apres Lunes”, a lingerie line for children, I was surprised that the values of the new generation have become so different. When I was an elementary student, I used to go to the playground and play with mud. Now little kids- especially girls- can’t seem to wait to become mature enough to do what adults do for fun such as dressing up and wearing makeup.

from 2008 New York Times article- pedicures and more at Eleanor’s primping party in Manhattan

What is scary is that companies like Jours Apres Lunes have noticed this change too and see children as a good target segment. I have seen girls about the age of ten getting their nails done in Tokyo. A 2008 New York Times article also brings up how there are now pedicures and make up kits available for children.

My concern here is how manipulative these children are. There is a high risk of companies who target such a segment to face marketing ethics. Should elementary girls be acting older wearing women lingerie and cosmetics? With current marketing strategies that use misleading advertisements of distorted conceptions of beauty, I believe this will lead the new generation to be even more self-conscious of their appearance. Suppose these marketing strategies continue. What will happen when this new generation becomes marketers? Generation after generation, due to technology and globalization, cultural values have diffused in both positive and negative ways that will affect the way we view the world and companies’ marketing strategies.

My parents generation could not have imagined pedicures and lingerie for children.Soon enough, I fear that there may be plastic surgeries and tattoos available for children where it actually affects a child physically. Before companies start targeting vulnerable children, companies should reconsider their marketing ethics all together.

<sources>

https://blogs.ubc.ca/irisyxzhou/

1 thought on “Commenting on Peer’s Blog- lingerie, consmetics, pedicures for little girls