Stephanie Awotwi-Pratt

Stephanie Awotwi-Pratt

Hello! I am Stephanie Awotwi-Pratt, a Master of Arts student in the Interdisciplinary Graduate Studies Program at UBC Okanagan campus within the theme Power, Conflict, and IdeasMy research focuses on the effects and impacts of obstetric racism in British Columbian reproductive healthcare contexts.

I am a Black Canadian researcher and student in Power, Conflict and Ideas. With previous degrees in Microbiology, English, and Gender and Women’s Studies, at UBC Okanagan my Master’s research merges a range of disciplines and fields. My research focuses on reproductive healthcare and racism in Obstetrics and Gynecology in British Columbia.

I am also funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)- CGSM in her master’s research Resisting Medical Racism: How Black Canadian Women Navigate Reproductive Healthcare in British Columbia. My master’s project seeks to understand how Black Canadian women living in B.C. resist racism and medical violence in reproductive healthcare settings.

My research interacts with multiple fields, including Black feminist theory, reproductive justice, the effects of historically rooted legacies of medical violence, and contemporary examples of discrimination in patient interactions with medical care providers. This reproductive technologies podcast is aligned with my research interests as it explores reproductive health, justice, and politics.  

I have also been Dr. Margaret Carlyle’s research assistant since 2022 working together to create this podcast.

We hope you will enjoy our podcast!