4. TELE

*TELE  Important Components Learning Goals Educational Theories
Jasper Series(Anchored Instruction) Knowledge-centred, learner-centred, assessment-centred, community-centred  Make thinking visible; generative, self-directed learner Inquiry-based,Cognitive theory, Constructivist, Activity theory, Community of Practice
WISE(Scaffolded Knowledge Integration) Flexible, adaptable platform Make thinking visible; make science accessible; promote collaboration; life-long learner Inquiry-based,Cognitive theory, Constructivist, Activity theory, Community of Practice
My World(Learning for Use Model)  Content linked to process Motivate, construct, refine; goal-directed; application of knowledge (scaffolding); context is important; robust learning Inquiry-based,Cognitive theory, Constructivist, Activity theory; Situated Learning Theory
ChemLand (T-GEM) Technology Pedagogy Content Knowledge (TPCK) Motivate; engagement; student-directed; scaffolding Inquiry-based; Cognitive theory, Constructivist, Activity theory

*Professional Development key to success of TELE

What have I learned about Technology Enhanced Learning Environments (TELEs)?

The most significant thing that I learned is the importance of delivering the content in the process. Like many teachers I saw this as two different things; theory is taught in the classroom and practical application happens in the lab. Having technology in the classroom allows for teachers to combine the two. Another thing that was reinforced through the readings is the need for “more prescriptive recommendations from best-practice research” (Khan 2010, p. 217). This was also something that both of the teachers that I interviewed clearly voiced; they want professional development that is clear and direct. Overall, it is important that teachers understand that a new way of teaching (pedagogy) may be needed to gain the full benefit of the technology.

What impact will the knowledge of TELEs have on how I teach?

I will certainly re-think how I currently teach. TELEs can provide a rich learning experience for students and I feel confident that I now have the knowledge to integrate technology that will motivate students without dangling that test “carrot” in front of their noses.  Simulations can be used to deliver the content through the process of inquiry-based learning. Enabling and encouraging students to construct their own knowledge and to reflect on their understanding will help them retain information for future use. T-GEM provides a great model for implementing technology in the most effective way. TPCK reminds us to balance our knowledge of the technology with pedagogy and content.

Reference

Khan, S. (2010). New pedagogies for teaching with computer simulations. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 20(3), 215-232.