Allow myself to introduce… myself

Welcome! I hope that you are inspired by some of the ideas you see here.  Feel free to copy anything you see, it’s where we all begin.  Now, a little bit about myself…

Although some people wouldn’t consider me a farm boy, given that I grew up on a 5 acre hobby farm in Langley, I knew I had crossed the threshold as I was chasing a steer down the road in my gumboots on a cold school-day.  My late slip would read “farm duties”. I was raised under the guidance of a veteran machinist yet I never considered what I was absorbing while working alongside my father on tractors, cars, various plumbing adventures and tagging along on work trips to northern BC.  However, it turned out that “the shop” was in my blood.

My passion for mentoring youth has been a driving factor throughout my whole life.  As a recipient of strong mentoring in my teenage years, I knew that I needed to pay it forward. From volunteering in non profit youth groups to Camp Director of a children’s camp, I began to live the dream.  My passion led me to Vancouver Island where I first worked as a youth director in a church and then found myself working with behavioral needs students with the Saanich School District.  After six years of experience as an Specialized Educational Assistant within elementary, middle and secondary schools, I realized that my passion for teaching was growing.

Fate intervened.  I accompanied my nephews to a programming conference, and there I was introduced to the BCIT Technology Teacher Education Diploma Program.  I didn’t hesitate to apply immediately, and the following year I began my path to be a “shop” teacher.  My life has been reintroduced to the passions of Technology that I was raised with.  I have been equipped to work in a classroom with youth who will be the next generation of mentors.

Rich Dahl