Is It Really Dole’s Philosophy To Be Socially Responsible Or Is It All Bananas?

The Dole® food company claims to be socially responsible… are they really? Is this company truly dedicated “to the safety of [their] workers, communities and the environment?” I don’t think so.

www.greenbiz.com claims in the article posted below, that a lawsuit was recently filed against Dole® for purchasing bananas from growers who do not seem to have their same philosophy, as their operations have destroyed wetlands and poisoned water sources in Guatemala. Is this just me or has this already become a threat to the environment and the Guatemalan community?

Can their company really be trusted if the claims are true? In my case I would lose my trust in them and therefore wouldn’t believe in the other aspects of their so called “philosophy”. Being ethically and socially responsible won’t just make you look good, but it will gain the trust of your consumers… and therefore would most probably increase your sales. I would say it is much more important than they think and should watch closely who they buy their bananas from next time.

Greenbiz article: http://www.greenbiz.com/news/2012/11/20/lawsuit-takes-doles-sustainability-claims-task