Technology in the classroom (COMM 101)

Based on my own experiences in high school, I feel that often technology such as laptops, smartphones, tablets, etc…usually distract more from learning that help. It’s an idea that’s also present in some of my current classes such as COMM 292. That being said, I think it’s integrated really well into COMM 101. Because so much of the class is discussion, I feel motivated to actually use the laptop for research purposes. On Thursday’s class, my partner and I looked up info on Russia’s new Vodka rules which was helpful because I hadn’t read that particular story ahead of time. Thanks to that we were able to have a discussion.

I also feel that business students learn primarily from example. If we want a look at successful business practices, then looking at a real world example is much more helpful than looking at the practices as theoretic. The available technology helps us quickly look up examples to help better understand the concepts in class. If any students are looking to be entrepreneurs, it will be helpful to remember where other companies have had success. It’s also a lot more engaging to be looking up info on a laptop than reading it out of a textbook.

I’m really looking forward to the next class.