“Soldiers of Salamis” by Javier Cercas

Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas was a somewhat interesting novel, but I cannot say I particularly enjoyed the plot. I found the narration to have a very slow rhythm which didn’t keep me engaged and the many specific details about the story were hard to keep up with. I did appreciate that the novel is divided into three stories that intertwine. Parallel or related streams of narration always add a multidimensional aspect that enhances the story – in my opinion. In the first part, Cercas tells the story of his search for Mazas’ history, of his life as a writer, and of his investigations. The second section focuses on Mazas’ actual life and his escape from a group of Republicans during the Spanish Civil War. Lastly, the third part is the description of Cercas’ interactions with Miralles – who is thought to be the soldier who spared Mazas during the civil war. The three parts offer different facets to the story that make it more entertaining for the reader, however, I found Cercas’ way of approaching a historical novel too factual. The narration is very descriptive and almost felt like I was reading Cercas’ personal diary. I have liked most novels we have read in this course, but Cercas’ was not one of them and I blame that on a few different aspects. The main one is the author’s attempt to make the events told seem as real as possible.

One part I did find very insightful was Cercas and Bolano’s discussion on what a hero is and on literary credibility. While Cercas tries to be committed to the truth and the “relato real”, Bolano appreciates a less realistic way of writing. The Chilean writer notes that memory – whether it is accurate or not – is enough to tell a story while Cercas’ passion for the truth pushes him to make his story feel historically truthful. After reflecting upon the two authors, I figured out that Cercas’ search for realism is why I didn’t enjoy his novel. I appreciated Bolano’s genuine combination of reality and fiction as it added a more dreamlike quality to Amulet. The same dreamlike quality lacked in Cercas and, in my opinion, made the narration less efficient in keeping me involved. An example of this is how the events are introduced in the second part of the novel. Cercas uses sentences like “That same day”, “Over the following days”, “At dusk on the 29th”, and “Hours later” to introduce episodes that, in my experience, ended up blending together and gave a monotone quality to the narration. 

My question for the class is: did you find Cercas’ search for realism to inhibit or enhance your involvement in the story?

– Bianca

5 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

5 Responses to “Soldiers of Salamis” by Javier Cercas

1. Jon

“I figured out that Cercas’ search for realism is why I didn’t enjoy his novel.”

OK, fair enough. (Though I do think that Cercas also sows doubt in our minds throughout.) But it might still be worth considering why some (other) readers might be attracted by realism or the lure of the real. Why, for instance, does it seem so important to Cercas (the narrator) that what he’s writing is “not a novel” but a “true tale”?

2. Jon

Oh, and please add the category “Cercas” and some tags to indicate the themes and concepts in this post. Thanks!

3. raymon saran

Great post! I especially agreed with your comments about the plot not being particularly engaging, but that the separation of the novel brought it all together. However, as opposed to your feeling of there being too much factual description I actually liked this part. It played into the fact that the narrator is a journalist and that’s how they would typically present information.

4. YasminAhmadi

Hello!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I found myself also intrigued on Bolano’s and Cercas’ discussion on what a hero is. On another note, I agree with your opinion on the narrators somewhat monotone use of language. It was hard to keep interested with that.
    Yasmin Ahmadi

5. Vidushi Singh

Hey!
    I think the point you said about how parallel streams of narration always add a multidimensional aspect really interests me too. Actually, it has been quite a recurring theme for the past couple weeks books and also in the upcoming week, Agualusa’s book. To be honest though, as interesting it can get, it also can get a little confusing at times. I find myself getting lost in between pages a times! To answer your question, for this book specifically, I think it inhibted my involvement but not too greatly, as the books we’ve read in the past have done that plenty!
    – Vidushi Singh