Week 7, Rodoreda, “The Time of the Doves”

I was passionately engaged while reading The Time of the Doves, mainly for two reasons. First of all, I really enjoyed the narrative of the novel. I felt like the first-person narration of Natalia made the narrative more credible. Normally, first-person narratives are less credible than a “neutral” third-person view, but since this story was about Natalia’s life, nothing could’ve been more credible than her own thoughts; in this way, the benefits of a first-person narrative of this book resembled that of “The Shrouded Woman” by Bombal. In both books, I did not care if there could have been “another side of the story”. All I cared about was what the narrator perceived and thought, which made the first-person narrative most suitable and credible. Secondly, I really enjoyed the temporality and linearity of the book and plot. It felt like specific plot events did not take up majority of the pages; everything seemed more focused on Natalia’s thoughts and emotions. Moreover, I think the majority of the plot is more about how Natalia “lives on”. Though significant events happen throughout the book, the plot continues quickly without being stopped in one event for a long time. Considering that the narration was Natalia’s own thoughts, I felt like Natalia was too busy – with work, housework, raising children – with her life that she had no time to stop at a single event; life was continuous survival for her, survival through endless sufferings. She just had to keep living on.

While reading, I noticed (and indicated on the pages) a lot of instances where I found Natalia suffering: guilt after leaving Pere, on the motorcycle with Quimet, the disasters with the doves, having no choice but to send Toni away, living through times of war (hunger and pain), and marriage Antonio. The last suffering, marriage with Antonio, isn’t truly a suffering; in fact, it seemed like the foundation for Natalia and her kids’ lives to get better. However, reading the last parts of the book, I couldn’t stop feeling a bittersweet, guilty, and incomplete emotion. The actual events of Natalia’s life seemed to be leading her towards recovery from the terrors of hunger and pain. However, I felt like Natalie still suffered. She was unstable and always seemed preoccupied with thoughts of the past. The last few pages where she finally crossed a street implied that Natalia was recovering, that she was reconstituting her life in a positive way. However, the ellipsis after the last word of the book, “Happy . . .” bothers me. Some part of me doubts that Natalia is truly happy, while I truly wish she would become happy.

Although I feel like this blogpost was clustered with emotions and thoughts, I want to end with an organized question: Natalia’s life can be characterized as a “continuous effort to carry on”. Knowing this, do you think Natalia is truly happy by the ending of the story? Can Natalia ever become happy again, despite everything she has gone through?

4 thoughts on “Week 7, Rodoreda, “The Time of the Doves”

1. I like what you have to say about her life in the end being “bittersweet” and “incomplete emotions” and the attention you draw to the elipsis at the end. I wonder how these three things might relate to the concept of “Bricolage” or “patchwork” that Jon talks about in his lecture on Rodoreda’s novel…

2. Hey Daniel, I definitely agree that Natalia had suffered a lot throughout the novel, and despite these sufferings she had to keep moving. It felt like she barely had time for herself to stop for a moment and really process all these sufferings. I think that the scream Natalia let out near the end of the novel may be an indication of her process of letting go of her past, of the sufferings she experienced in order to be truly happy again.

3. Hey.
    I do feel like Natalia is happy at the end. She might just be happy that she is no longer in all the struggles she used to be, but I believe that would be enough to consider her as happy at the end of the novel.

4. Hi Daniel. This was a very interesting blog post to read. I believe that Natalia is happy at the end. Despite the hardships she has faced, she is truly happy.