“The Society of Reluctant Dreamers” by Jose Eduardo Agualusa

Wow! I can not believe how fast this semester has gone. For the final week, I chose to read The Society of Reluctant Dreamers. This was surely one of the longest reads and once again, I am not too knowledgeable of the history of the Angolan Independence which does add a level of complexity when reading this week’s novel. Although watching the lectures did allow for some clarification with the Angolan Civil War.

What I enjoyed the most was some aspects (but certainly not all) of a bright tone to this novel like Daniel finding the camera with the photos of the woman who appears in his dreams. I liked the recurring theme of memories and dreams based on the past few novels we have read so far. It was somewhat confusing when the novel went over his dreams compared to the real life events but nonetheless, I enjoyed both parts. I believe that memories played a crucial role in forming dreams so it’s only rational for Daniel to dream of those who impacted his life. One other aspect I absolutely loved (as well as a recurring theme in most of the novels we have read in this class) is how descriptive the writing is! Although some books have a sort of descriptiveness that comes off as confusing and hard to follow, The Society of Reluctant Dreamers was one that helped me envision the story to the full extent. 

The other aspect that I appreciate from this week’s book was how eventful it was. From the events that occurred with his daughter as well as the incorporation of art within dreams. When he found out who the woman was from the photograph, she told him how important her dreams are with her art. With that being said, portraying her dreams through art can really conceptualize the novel. One moving aspect was the arrest of Daniel’s daughter when she was protesting against the dictatorship and the helplessness he felt when he knew he cannot do that much to help her.

Overall, this has been a great novel to finish the course with. There was an outstanding amount of events up for discussion. One question I would have for the class would be if our dreams really do affect our memories, and if so, why? And another would be, what made the author choose the title? Does reluctancy play a role with our dreams? 

9 thoughts on ““The Society of Reluctant Dreamers” by Jose Eduardo Agualusa

1. Jon

What’s interesting, I think, is that the book combines what you call a “bright tone” with some shocking events such as imprisonment, protest, torture, and death.

2. montserrat avendano castillo

Hey, I really liked your post. And regarding your question I think it is completely posible to remmeber a dream and confuse them from memories and latter reality. Like I think I said anuwhere in this website one day. The human brain does not like empty holes and it fill them with whathever it wants.

-Montserrat Avendano

3. suroor mansouri

Hi, I really enjoyed your thoughts on the reading and glad you enjoyed it!
    “If our dreams really do affect our memories, and if so, why?” I think our dreams give us some insight on our subconscious. One thing I have learnt is that humans can be such incredible liars even to ourselves. Sometimes we suppress and suppress until we believe a thing no longer exists but then we are brutally reminded of it through our dreams, our subconscious. I think our memories affect our dreams and the other way around.

4. Alyssa Almerling

Loved your blog post! Super interesting questions! I think he used the word reluctant because people tend to see dreams as abstract and not a definition of reality. These “dreamers” are reluctant to let their dreams guide their lives because it is not the whole truth. I think that our memories affect our dreams. Memories are not always remembered perfectly, primarily fragmented, and these fragments can play parts in our dreams to uncover/hide a hidden feeling/motive.

5. Daniel Choi

Great insightful blogpost! I really find your note about “bright tone” interesting. I never thought about this until I read your blog. It does seem like there was a “bright tone” – though I’m not so sure why. Perhaps it has to do something with dreams and hopes?
    Also, great question. I think there is a strong reluctancy for us to dream, although we don’t really have control over what we dream; there obviously are lots of dreams we wish to dream, but there are also ones that we want to avoid, or at least “hide” from others (similar to the fear of intimacy mentioned in the book). I think the idea of a reluctant dreamer can be linked with this idea of a dream that we would like to keep private/ secret.

– Daniel Choi

6. Devanshi

Hi! I completely understand how not knowing about the Angolan independence impacted your understanding of the book because I was in a similar position. I like the point that you brought up about the bright tone as well. To answer your question, I do believe that our memories can be affected by our dreams, especially given the fact that they both can be reconstructive in some ways. I feel like the author chose the title because of how these dreams were not controlled by the people dreaming in any way, and explored thoughts that they wouldn’t have otherwise.

7. Aquila

Hi! It was great to read your post. To answer your question, I think our dreams definitely can affect our memories. I know many people who act based on something they though happened and then realise that it was actually a dream, or I’m sure many of us have had the situation where you wake up feeling the emotional effects of a dream. While not neccesarily a memory, it still causes us to react in a way that memories would – getting angry at someone, being sad, falling in love etc. Even if this doesn’t occur, I feel dreams can often present to us an idea we had not thought of before – almost like an alternative to a memory.

8. ashvi ivan

Hey! I think dreams can sometimes bleed into our memories. You may even dream about a particular memory but add in additional information which may alter the memory itself. There’s also always the case where someone recalls something and everyone else says that never happened, you must have dreamt it.

9. Breanne

Hello! I also really enjoyed how descriptive this book was! I felt like i was really able to paint a clear picture of the storyline in my mind. Thanks for sharing!