Week 4 – Bombal’s “Shrouded Woman”

I really enjoyed this novel; I found it beautifully written and thought-provoking. Bombal’s use of magical realism to deliver a tale of a dead woman reminiscing on her life, and the various characters in it, was very touching and got me right in my feels. I admire her manner of subtly offering up bits of information without outright stating it. For example, the protagonist’s conversation with Zoila early in the novel in which she states, “I say sick because I don’t know how to say it another way. But you know what I mean” (170). I also admire the stunning visuals and the inclusion of different types of plants (eg. “Then she saw, close to the earth, an enormous cineraria, a cineraria of a dark, intense, dark-blue colour, trembling slightly” [212]), as well as the thoughtful use of repetition sprinkled throughout the prose (eg. “Did her lover’s sudden cowardly desertion of her result from a peremptory order of his parents, or from some rebelliousness in his own impetuous nature?” [175] as also stated on pg. 165). But my favourite line in the whole novel has to be, “There are people so small that life and death will always pass them over without reaching them” (182).

I think the section of the novel devoted to Maria Griselda was a little odd; it seemed to be the chapter in which every character continuously objectifies one woman. I understand wanting to convey how beautiful she is, but this was a little excessive; “Oh, her small firm breasts! so close to her body, with that fine sky-blue vein winding between them. And her round smooth hips. And her long, long legs!” (202). Like, they’re really ogling this woman as if she’s an exhibit at the aquarium. And while she’s asleep too! Super creepy. I guess this is the, quite literal, definition of ‘if looks could kill’. Get it?!

The way Bombal illustrates the perennial tension between Ana Maria and Antonio is very well done (eg. the scene with the slipper, “she saw and she could never forget it–brutally, almost with a fury, he flung it away with a kick” [225]); their passion for one another is evident, though unhealthy in the manner in which it’s expressed and verbalised. This line is especially haunting; “He tolerated her […] as a consequence of an act without recall” (225).

One of my favourite parts was the back and forth between Ana Maria and Sofia toward the end of the novel. Without minimising Sofia’s betrayal, I believe their interaction is an emotional exploration of how an intense friendship, particularly one that acts almost as a fling, can change your life; Ana Maria never stopped thinking about Sofia, to the point where she chooses to forgive her before moving into the afterlife (“Friendship, the sweetness of being able to love without passion, the joy of being able to give without fear!” [238]).

All in all, a really lovely and worthwhile read. And now, without asking you to offer up anything too personal, my question is, what is YOUR unfinished business? Is there something you need to do before leaving this life behind? (A little dark. Sorry.)

5 thoughts on “Week 4 – Bombal’s “Shrouded Woman”

1. Andrew How

Hello!
    I agree with your points very much. It was such a captivating journey through Ana Maria’s life. I also agree with your point about Maria Griselda. It is odd how much is spent on Maria Griselda. The character has an otherworldliness to her and she hardly talks at all for how much is dedicated to her. It is indeed like she is just an object to be admired and desired. No wonder her beauty is described like a curse. And it seems too like this fixation on women’s beauty is something to be criticised.
    To tackle your question, I don’t know. Perhaps it is to tell my family how much I really love them and am grateful for. Sometimes I don’t know if I have shown it enough, but I hope they know!

2. Sadie Glickman

Hi! I really enjoyed reading your blog post and agree with what you felt while reading the novel. I also really liked the question you chose. To answer your question I think I would have to spend more time with my family and close friends. I have lived away from home since I was 17 and I feel that at times my parents may feel forgotten about or lonely. I also have 5 brothers, so I just would wish that I could go back and spend more time with them all.
    Thanks so much!

3. anna vukota

Hi Neko! I also agree with how stunning the detail and description of the text is. In some contexts (like you mentioned) the detail does a bit of the opposite effect and made me a lil uncomfortable but when discussing the plants or the tranquility of laying dead it was quite beautiful. Regarding your question, I think my unfinished business would just be living life more for myself rather than for other people, ya know? I think I would have lots of regret if at the end of the day I couldn’t say I did much for myself. Kind of deep but…anyways great post!!

4. Jennifer Nagtegaal

Thanks for sharing your favourite line (“There are people so small that life and death will always pass them over without reaching them” [182])! This sort of thing would make a great (and relevant!) question to pose to your peers.

5. Sidney Grigg

Hi Neko! I also thought this book was beautifully written and definitely provoked tons of thoughts for myself as well. I found it interesting that a book told from the perspective of someone who is dead, could still be so beautiful. Something that stood out to me was the way the tension in the book was presented so well so I’m glad you pointed that out! As for your question, this is a good one! Although it may even be too hard to answer. At this moment I can definitely say I have lots of unfinished business, theres so much I want to do and so many relationships to grow. Such an interesting , yet (as you said) deep thing to think about!