Feed on
Posts

‘Climate change and immersive virtual worlds’ or more accurately, ‘Will environmental discomfort caused by climate change accelerate the demand for immersive virtual worlds’?

A few weeks ago I took the time to finally read Tim Flannery’s ‘The Weather Makers’, a nicely presented introduction to human-induced climate change for the layperson such as myself. I’m not about to enter a debate on the politics or economics of global warming, but one idea which struck me after reading was ‘Should I move further North to beat the heat?’…I hate sweltering summer heat, and would gladly trade in perma-tan for perma-frost. Or is there another way to avoid the discomfort?

Let’s envision a scenario – the year is 2022, and all of the worst case scenario predictions have come to pass. Parents scold their children for playing outside in the dangerous UV-enfused sunlight, and encourage them to stay at home. Air quality requires us to wear protective masks between the hours of 9AM-6PM (nevermind the smell~). Tourism has come to a standstill. Honeybees have completely disappearing, and whatever that entails has occured. Danger is everywhere, but we still have technology to protect us!

…hopefully the direction of my story leads you to jump to certain conclusions. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy a second life in an immersive virtual world? Can’t go to the Maldives because…well, they’ve been swallowed by a rising ocean? Maldives 2.0 fills that void! Thinking about visiting your aging aunt in Toronto, but the cost of air travel is now priced out of your reach, don’t worry – an online visit to her virtual home can be just as satisfying.

I think we’ve all seen our share of movies where futuristic scenarios such as these have been played out to some extent. Admittedly, they seem bleak and lifeless in comparison to the fresh-air freedom we currently enjoy. But, if we are going to eventually sacrifice the comforts of modern life, having a platform such as Second Life (or its future self) would be preferable to solitary alternatives, wouldn’t it? In fact, the more I think about it the more I support such a transition, despite it’s dehumanizing potential. My choice to travel to the museums of Europe in person has severe CO2 implications, but minimal impact if I choose instead to visit them online. Even taking an online class is a small step. Instead of driving our cars (forgetting for a moment that most students don’t have the budget to drive/park at UBC) we boot up our computers.

I’m not an uber-environmentalist, but in a world where hurricans, mass flooding, earthquakes, wildfires and other climate catastrophes are sending a clear message about the instability of our modern behaviour – I’m willing to telecommute on a more frequent basis, both for business and pleasure.

My iphone = My PLE

PLE = Personal learning environment.

As an  MLIS student, I depend on my instructors to structure my learning in a certain manner, in order for me to maximize my learning about a subject I (honestly) know very little about. It would be inefficient for me to attempt 48-credits worth of independent study in order to fulfill the degree requirements, nor would the school permit it! But what about life after school? A lot of out learning is pre-planned for us by our employers of choice, but outside of our mandated learning – life is a never-ending directed study! Setting learning goals and objectives (for me anyways) helps bring meaning to every day. Achieving these goals, meanwhile, requires a personal learning plan (PLE). To better explain how my current PLE came about, I will start with a little backgrounder…

I lived a happy cell-phone free existance for 26 years of my early life. It was a lifestyle choice that suited my wife and I very handily, we didn’t like to be bothered when away from home, and both worked for the same company – making email and IM communication during business hours the preferable route for necessary communication. With the transition to a campus-bound student life this year, however, new methods of communication were required – so we got iphones and a 3 year commitment to Rogers. While I often still wish I could go back to that pre-cellular age of 2009, I have to admit, the smart phone has changed my life – and how I obtain my information. It took awhile for me to discover my first ‘app’ (Globe and Mail), and even now I maintain a fairly slim selection of applications to choose from (no more than 15 at a time), but I can’t deny my addiction!

My commute to UBC takes (on average) 2 hours each way. During that time I bring myself up to date on the events of the world (G&M, Huffington Post, TSN, The Onion (need some balance, right?) WSJ & Financial Post), stalk my social network on Facebook and (now) Twitter, watch the occasional video on Youtube, and all the other stuff that smart phones have to offer.

My point is this – without a smart phone, I would not attempt to access this content. I might, on occasion, read Macleans magazine or the Wall Street Journal print edition on the way to school, but would I purchase and bring along 5 separate papers? I don’t carry a laptop, but even if I did, I doubt I would use it in nearly as efficient an ‘information seeking’ manner as I do my iPhone. By selecting the apps which correspond to my daily informational needs, and then devoting 3-4 hours to digesting their content, I’ve opened my mind to opinions and trends that would otherwise elude me. 

For me, a smart phone with neatly laid out applications is a wonderful aggregator, and a helpful tool that has allowed me to expand the scope of my PLE.

For those daring individuals who dream of a career in journalism, salary/bonuses/benefits are less likely to be motivating factors than recognition/publication/reputation might be. Nevertheless, everyone needs to eat, and for many aspiring writers, the ‘big break’ never comes about. For decades, ‘getting published’ was a tricky business. Without the right connections, good timing and a lot of luck, your written word would remain little more than the tree falling in the empty forest – unpublished and doomed for non-existence!

…Enter blogs. I’m published, you’re published – everyone’s published! But are we professional journalists/writers making a carreer out of our talents, or are we mere hobbiests? I think a fair distinction to make here would be to divide those who make their primary living off of blogging from those who do not. But unless you’re an in-house blogger working for an established organization – as a self-employed blogger, it’s not easy to hit it big. Ad revenues are one source of income, made easier through systems such as Google Adsense and affiliate marketing websites – but at the end of the day, are consumers directly paying to purchase your creation? Another option is to build a name for oneself through blogging, and then translate that fame into successful publication of a physical/e-book (see Lifehacker, Maddox or Perez Hilton). But for the rest of the world’s blogging population, how likely are either of these alternatives to turn a living wage?

Or, (of equal concern) what are we, as bloggers, giving away for free?

Technically, through the act of creation (whether blog or printed word) a writer obtains automatic copyrights. But, in order to enforce these rights he/she would first need to register for copyright protection. Do bloggers regularly take this step? I would imagine that many of the more lucrative bloggers would take this step upon creation, but many others wouldn’t have the time or motivation to file. With the speed and force of our current shift to online self-publication, chances are high that many of today’s potentially-profitable ideas and creations are being left unprotected. Is there a business for online copyright stalkers – blog roamers on the lookout for brilliant ideas and writing that can be assumed through a copy/paste followed by their own copyright application? Not sure about that – but the possibility is out there.

Returning to the original question ‘how to be compensated for social media creation’, I think the answer actually lies somewhere between the value of zero-cost publication and the potential for significant revenues.

I’ll conclude with a question to consider: would you rather be a journalist/writer in the 1980s or in the 2010s?  The barriers to entry have been significantly lowered, and the entry points have shifted – but does the prevalence of cheap and quick content creation (thin journalism?) overshadow the necessity of ‘thick’ journalism and creation? 

Finally, in discussing these incentives, I am purposely  excluding bloggers who maintain and create blogs during the course of gainful employment. A salaried employee who is encouraged to devote a certain amount of daily/weekly time to social media creation is already receiving adequate (at least in the eye of their employer) compensation.

Collaborative art

So how does that^ turn into this…?

I fancy myself an amateur graphic designer. I’ve never taken a formal class nor received training from a professional artist. It’s a fun hobby, and occasionally useful for school/work projects. One of the reasons I ventured into this craft was the potential to collaborate with other artists, to learn and be inspired from their work, and to showcase myself in an open and social manner. After a few years honing my skills, I found that there was only so much I could create with my own hands and mind – instead, I found collaborative murals!

Images, like the one posted above, are created when one artist (Mr.A) teams up with a second artist (Mrs.B) and perhaps a few others (C,D,Etc) to work together. One person gets the ball rolling, usually with something simple and easy to manipulate. He then send the editable Photoshop PDF file to the second collaborator through email or instant message. The second artist can take that image and build upon it, often removing elements or adding their own personal style. It’s then passed on (or back to the original artist in the case of ‘photoshop tennis’), for the next artist to play with. The results are usually visually appealing, and always unpredictable! Most often, these murals/battles/tennis matches are set up on online discussion boards devoted to graphic design (I would give examples, but all the ones I used to frequent have vanished from the web), and the process can sometimes take upwards of a year, depending on the skill and devotion of the artists involved. The main constraint of these graphic design feats is often the limitation of our computer screens to display the art. I’ve seen murals that stretch horizontally for well over 10,000 pixels, making it hard to appreciate the work as a whole.

Another example of collaborative art is shown on Flickr, where a group named Photoshop Tennis has emerged. The idea is similar to that mentioned above, but the size of the image usually doesn’t grow – instead the content of the image will change (sometimes subtlely and sometimes radically) with each participants efforts. In those situations, comedy is often emphasised over artistic merit.

Of course, analog art (not sure what else to call it!) is also greatly benefitted by collaboration. Whether graffiti or authorized artwork, many of the neatest eye candy has been designed by team – not individual. Here’s an example of just a few minds working with a blank wall and felt pens. Another idea that can work with large groups of artists (or students), is to give each person a small role in a larger picture, and when the pieces are assembled the mural really comes to life (see example).

While the web really gave new life to collaborative art, there has always been a desire among artists to work together. ‘Mail art’ was a practice where artists would send each other their contributions through the postal system. Email and the advent of PDF files really took this to a new level.

And if anyone is interested, here’s the link to my photostream on Flickr. I’ve only uploaded a few of my oldest pieces that I found kicking around on my harddrive – but hopefully they’re good for a few kicks!

KAIZEN (Japanese for “improvement” or “change for the better”) refers to philosophy or practices that focus upon continuous improvement of processes… (current definition on Wikipedia)

Kazien is an operations philosophy often touted in the worlds of business, engineering and manufacturing – but what can it mean for a library? At its most basic framework, Kaizen is based on 5 key elements:

1. Teamwork
  2. Discipline
  3. Improved Morale
  4. Quality Circles
  5. Suggestions for Improvement

The overall goal being a leaner, more efficient organization.

The key to effectively using Kaizen in any organization, however, depends entirely on participation and high-levels of employee involvement. While Kaizen is far from being a new concept (its origins date back to the pre WW2 years, and its highest levels of popularity were reached between 1997-2002), the addition of social media tools have immense potential to revolutionize Kaizen practices, especially in information organizations that might have previously considered it as being more fit for a production line.

It’s not too hard to imagine how teamwork can benefit from social media tools. Tools such as googledocs, slideshare, PBWorks/PB Wiki are all fantastic tools for employees of a library to collaborate using. Most libraries are staffed with employees possessing unique skillsets – some people think this way, others think that way. By allowing employees to connect their work with each other in real-time, this can potentially allow employees to magnify their strengths while allowing for the mitigation of their weaknesses.

Discipline can be achieved through certain social media tools when employees know that their peers are able to monitor or follow their progress. Nobody wants to be identified as the person not pulling their weight, and in an open environment employees might feel more obligated to put in their expected contribution.

Social Media can improve morale, if applied well, by allowing co-workers to recognize and react to each others contributions. Some employees are best motivated by a pat on the back from their boss – but peer-peer feedback and kudos allowed by social interactions can be especially powerful.

The use of quality circles, where employees can express their best ideas, concerns and suggestions to management can be improved through social media tools, as employees can be encouraged to speak their true mind in less confrontational environments than the traditional face-face method. Also, input can be obtained in real-time, rather than waiting for 4:45PM in the afternoon to gather everyone into a discussion group. These suggestions for improvement can often be better expressed through social media, as employees can enhance their proposals with peer feedback and links to relevant web content.

Kaizen, ultimately, aims to level the playing field and to empower all employees to participate in the improvement of their organization. Bringing social media into the equation can improve the chances of reaching the desired 100% participation level. Although not all employees will neccisarily use these tools instead of their traditional communication methods (and that’s perfectly OK!), by bringing in the voices who were previously marginalized or non-participatory, a library can learn more about itself and how to make the most of its finite resources.

Is there a one amongst us who doesn’t love Youtube, (not necessarily the site itself, but rather the concept and delivery of ‘tube’ style user-posted videos), or anyone who would argue that it hasn’t brought the world a little bit closer? I sometimes have a hard time recalling what the internet was like before I was able to access unlimited audio/visual content with a few simple clicks and search queries. Allow me to list just a few of my favorite affordances bestowed upon us by youtube:

• The pipeline was unclogged! Pre-youtube one would really have to dig deep (often into their pockets) to find anything other than ‘fit for print’ content. Let’s say you love 80s rockers ‘The Radiators’, and you’d like to watch their music (the one about how to eat shrimp properly). What next? Sit in front of your TV all day watching Much Music or its spinoffs, hoping to get what you want? Maybe you would contact the band members or their manager directly, and plead for them to send you a VHS copy of their videos? Sure, you might stumble upon it someplace or another, but the odds of access and retrieval were slim to none. So instead of relying on Moses Znaimer and his team to provide access, Bill Buckshot in Oklahoma, by publishing his copy to the web, is your new supplier.
  • Checking the pulse of popular culture. Justin Bieber has 10 million hits in three weeks? That might just indicate certain preferences among users. An upcoming movie posts a trailer for its summer release, but barely makes 200,000 hits? If not many people are willing to invest 90 seconds and $0 to watch a preview, how many people will invest 90 minutes and $10 to watch the whole thing? This takes market research to a whole new level, and if box office betting ever takes off, check youtube before placing your wagers.
  • Making you a star! ‘You-tube sensation’ has blurred the boundaries of ‘celebrity’ status. You don’t have Hollywood good-looks? That’s OK, just be willing to dance like a monkey in your underwear and you’ll surely be a hit.
  • Feedback on the fly. After you watch a program, it’s nice to feel re-enforced by the published thoughts of others who have watched the same program. Conversely, what better opportunity to dissent from the popular opinion, than in the comfort of anonymity?
  • It’s global! Fans of Korean drama, Persian sitcoms or Ugandan socially-conscious rap videos are no longer distanced from their favorites.

These are just a few of my favorite elements of youtube and online video-sharing. There are certainly a few drawbacks, things that youtube doesn’t do well (or at least not yet).

• Copyright infringement.
  • Enables slander
  • Capable of making anyone a celebrity, especially for the wrong reasons…
  •  Mis-leading titles
  • Duplication of content = waste of bandwidth
  • Sketchy video quality (at times)
  • Potential for exploitation. Does John Smith know what his 15 year-old daughter is doing/saying online? Does he know that 3 million people saw it?
  • Addictive

I won’t go into too much detail about the negatives, as much has already been said on the issue elsewhere.

Bottom-line, youtube has changed the face of popular culture, business/marketing and scholarly research – purely by taking a pre-existing concept (the video) and making it a social media for all to partake in.  Sounds like a 1.65 billion dollar idea to me.

A welcome and a warning

Hello – I’m writing to you (not you specifically) but all of you who happen to come across this blog of mine, as a student – not as an experienced blogger. This blog, demanded of me inspired by my enrollment in LIBR559M (http://www.slais.ubc.ca) is a work in progress, and will hopefully develop into something more than just a student project. My plan is to carry on ‘blogging’ to the best of my abilities, both during and after the completion of the aforementioned class. I welcome all readers to respond to any of my posts.  I like that.