299 Blog post

Saku Koivu, one of the biggest hockey stars of Finland, stole my heart when I was only 6 years old. I lived close by to where Koivu lived and I would draw pictures for him even before I was able to write fan letters. Back then he inspired me with his impressive hockey skills, but as I have grown older and wiser I have realized that he has become a bigger source of inspiration than I could’ve ever imagined.

In 2001 Saku Koivu was diagnosed with a especially dangerous cancer type, the non-Hodgking’s lymphoma. Koivu beat the cancer in 2002, and was back on the ice in April of the same year. Cancer has such a strong power over its victims, not only physically but also mentally. Being able to firstly fight off the cancer and survive all the chemotherapy and other treatments, but also to be able to keep a positive mind set and stay motivated to keep pushing forward. That is truly inspirational.

Often times, when I feel powerless or unmotivated, I think about Koivu and his struggles, and I instantly get a boost of energy to keep pushing forward. I am reminded that there is nothing that can stop you, if you really want to go forward!