Week 1 – Where is Latin America?

Hi,

My name is Roy and I am fourth-year business student, who specialises in Operations and Logistics. Although I study business, I have a strong interest (probably more than what I study) in learning about history and cultures around the world. Since childhood, I grew up with Brazilians and Peruvians, so I have a strong interest especially in the Latin America region.

On this blog post, I would like to comment on some of the previous student videos that I enjoyed watching.

The War on Drugs by Diane Keyes and Michelle Nzioki

Although I felt that the delivery of the content was sometimes inconsistent, I did enjoy watching this one because the group members were enthusiastic. It was also interesting to hear real life events from one of the group member who came from Colombia. By sharing personal stories like this, it made this video more worthy to view.

Caudillos by Anna Wilmann, Elyse Doyle, Emma Elsner, Isabel Masters, Rachel White

I have never heard of ‘Caudillos’, in my life so, by watching this video, it gave me some insights that there were many dictators in Latin America. The contents in this video was delivered throughout posters and post-it cards with adorable drawings and writings, which made this video fun to watch.

Modernity in Latin America by Thamer Farjo, Nicole Gross, Nicola Cox, Austin Chang, Allysia Lam

I thought this video was difficult to bore me because though simple, when the speaker was talking, images cut in through the scene. It also made it easier for the viewers to understand by having subtitles and by speakers being filmed into the scene. One weak point was the editing of the film, when speakers had different volume while they speak, so I had to constantly change the volume on my computer. By watching this video, I was able to understand that the speakers had great understanding for what they were talking about. There was a lot of takeaways from watching this video for example, learning about how the trade with the Northern Americas prospered the living standards living in the Latin America region by trading precious resources like iron in return. Alternatively, it was also interesting to know about president Diaz, who had mix reputation among the citizens. Diaz pushed the economy by rapidly implementing railroad systems and earning foreign investments. However, due to the rapid foreign investments, lands were owned by investors abroad, which gave no chance to the lower class to own some land. By listening into this video, I was able to understand why the gaps between the social class have widened.

Thank you for reading,

Ryotaro (Roy) Saito