About me

My name is Roza Vaez Ghaemi and I am a PhD candidate in the School of Biomedical Engineering at The University of British Columbia (UBC). I finished my Master of Applied Science in 2016 and started my PhD studies right after as an Engineer in Scrubs fellow. My doctoral research is focused on the development of an in vitro representative model for the study of cellular and molecular events involved in traumatic brain injuries and to establish a quantitative relationship between the magnitude of injury and underlying mechanisms in post-mortem tissues. This model can potentially inform a better design for protective military equipment, thereby potentially saving millions of lives.

Since the beginning of my Masters studies, I have been heavily involved in teaching and actively looking for ways to add value to undergraduate teaching at UBC and I have received the Killam graduate teaching assistant award in 2019 in recognition of my passion for teaching, and contribution to the engineering education at UBC.