Application Package

This application package is designed for a research assistant position in the field of biochemistry. The application package consists of an advertisement for the position, a scannable and traditional resume, a cover letter, and three letters requesting for a reference.

bc

JOB ADVERTISEMENT

The first element of the application package is the advertisement. This shows that a position as a research assistant in the Genome Sciences Center at BC Cancer Agency is available. The posting lists the role summary, key accountabilities, and required qualifications to be considered as a research assistant.

PDF: Job Advertisement

Company/Position:

The position is in a mass spectrometry-based proteomics group in the Genome Sciences Centre in the British Columbia Cancer Agency. The candidate should hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, or a relevant field. The candidate will work as part of a team performing cutting-edge translational research using a broad range of proteomics techniques.

Role Summary:

Working as part of the proteomics core facility, the individual will assist in the day-to-day operation of the core. This individual will operate and maintain the hardware and software present in the core facility. In addition, this individual will work together with the Facility Manager and users to plan, coordinate, conduct and report on assigned research projects.

Research Assistant (Proteomics). BC Cancer Agency: Careers. n.p. 9 July 2015. Web. 10 July 2015. <http://www.bcgsc.ca/career/RAP%2015-06-17/>

___________________________________________________________________________

RESUME

The second element of the application package is the resume. The resume highlights my education and qualifications in Biochemistry which is a requirement for the job. Also, the resume outlines my work and volunteer experience, as well as any special skills and abilities, which help to further shape my personality as a responsible and hard-working team-player.

PDF: Scannable Resume
PDF: Traditional Resume

RUHANI GREWAL
Abbotsford, BC
Phone: (604) 832-9012
Email: ruhanigrewal@hotmail.com

OBJECTIVE
A part-time research assistant position in the field of proteomics.

QUALIFICATIONS
Cellular Biology and Biochemistry techniques: Preparation of cell culture, Protein Extraction and Protein Assay, SDS-PAGE, PCR, gel filtration, Immunoblotting, Liquid Chromatography, Microscopy, Mass Spectrometry, IR-FTIR, agarose gel electrophoresis, restriction enzyme digests, and bacterial transformation. Skilled with Excel, Powerpoint, and Microsoft Word. Strong technical writer and communicator. Self-motivated, strong time management skills, works well independently and as part of a team.

EDUCATION
University of British Columbia (UBC): B.S. expected August 2015. Biochemistry major.

University of the Fraser Valley (UFV): B.S. September 2011 to May 2013. Biology major.

Abbotsford Traditional Secondary School: High School Diploma. September 2007 to June 2011. Graduated with Honour and Effort Roll. Top Biology 12 student.

EXPERIENCE
Mennonite Hospital, Abbotsford, BC: Volunteer Coordinator. Organize and conduct volunteer training and orientation courses. Demonstrate professional communication, technical writing and emailing skills. Provide conservational support to residents. August 2007 to Present.

Mennonite Hospital, Abbotsford, BC: Cashier. Manage Fireside Treasures Gift Shop. Maintain notebook tracking of sales and requests. Report suggestions to administration. Train and supervise new cashiers. June 2011 to Present.

Home Outfitters Canada, Abbotsford, BC: Cashier. Learn and teach the POS system. Supervise new employees. Process credit card applications in a confidential and efficient manner. Record and organize logs and documents. Motivated to meet personal and company goals. May 2014 to September 2014.

Old Navy, Abbotsford, BC: Sales Associate. Provide specific merchandise information to customers. Excellent multi-tasking skills. Demonstrate effective time management skills. Determined to accomplish company sales goals. May 2013 to September 2013.

ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
University of the Fraser Valley, UFV Excellence Entrance Scholarship. 2011.

SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Red Cross First Aid Certified.

Languages: English, French, Punjabi and Hindi

INTERESTS AND EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
Active volunteer at BCSPCA.
Figure Skater for Skate Canada.

Sports: swimming, badminton, and volleyball.

REFERENCES
Please request via email or phone.

COVER LETTER

The third element of the application package is the cover letter. The cover letter discusses my strengths and abilities in order to be considered for the research assistant position in proteomics. I demonstrate that I am an adaptable, flexible and committed candidate who has attained these attributes through education and leadership experience.

PDF: Cover Letter

33915 Andrews Place
Abbotsford, BC V2S 6P3
July 15, 2015

Dr. Gregg Morin
Head of Proteomics
Genome Sciences Center, BC Cancer Agency
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1L3

Dear Dr. Gregg Morin:

Please consider my application for a research assistant position at your proteomics core facility in the Genome Sciences Center, as advertised on July 9 on Indeed.com. I will graduate from the University of British Columbia in August 2015 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry.

As you can see from my enclosed résumé, I have learned all the standard protocols used in the generation of proteomic samples throughout my degree. I have also learned to design and execute experiments independently and present data to a wide range of audiences. This experience and education has given me a practical understanding of the application of scientific techniques.

As an aspiring researcher, I’m well aware of the effort, time-management, organization, and coordination that is required to run a research laboratory. Moreover, my many years of experience as a volunteer team leader would be an asset to your group’s collaboration on various projects. This leadership experience will help to initiate excellent communication and discussion bases with all members of the team.

I have worked hard to improve my research and technical writing skills. My experience, education, and personality have prepared me to work well with others and to respond positively to challenges, problems, and added responsibilities.

Thank you for considering my application. If my background meets your needs, please phone anytime at (604) 832-9012 or email at ruhanigrewal@hotmail.com.

Sincerely,

Ruhani N. Grewal

Encl. Résumé

REFERENCE LETTER REQUESTS

The fourth element of the application package is to create three letters requesting a reference. I have written letters to two of my professors from UBC, Dr. Leonard Foster and Dr. Jason Read, and a letter to my long-time supervisor at Menno Hospital, Diane Urquhart. Below, I have a letter requesting Diane Urquhart for a positive reference. She has observed my leadership skills for the past seven years and, therefore, she is one the best referees to outline my personality to others.

PDF: Reference Letter Request for Diane
PDF: Reference Letter Request for Dr. Read
PDF: Reference Letter Request for Dr. Foster

33915 Andrews Place
Abbotsford, BC V2S 6P3
July 15, 2015

Diane Urquhart
Volunteer and Recreation Manager
Menno Hospital
32945 Marshall Road
Abbotsford, BC V2S 1K1

Subject: Reference Letter Request

Dear Ms. Urquhart:

Hello, I hope you are well and enjoying this beautiful summer. I am writing to ask if you would kindly provide a positive letter of reference to be submitted with my application package for a research assistant position in the Genome Sciences Centre in the British Columbia Cancer Agency.

As you know, I am an active volunteer at Menno Hospital for seven years now. With your support and guidance, I have been able to gain the patience and leadership skills required to lead a successful career. All the experience that I have acquired at Menno Hospital, from organizing events for the residents to conducting interviews and orientations for new volunteers, is an asset for this research position. This experience will help to showcase my ability to work collaboratively with everyone.

These social and personal skills that I have gathered in your presence make you an excellent candidate for this letter of reference. If you could kindly have your letter completed by mid-August 2015, it would be most appreciated. This letter can be mailed to me at the address provided above, or I can personally pick up the letter.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my request. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me anytime by phone at (604) 832-9012 or email at ruhanigrewal@hotmail.com.

Sincerely,

Ruhani Grewal