The Last Blog: A Recap

Comm 101 in the Sauder School of Business has been a truly eye-opening class. It has given me fascinating perspectives on matters that I had hardly considered prior to the beginning of this term. We have covered all of the areas of business succinctly, and I am entering my second semester of university life much more confident in a professional, business environment. Throughout the semester I have amassed several quotes that I believe to be eye opening, that I would like to share with you. Please excuse the lack of the authors names.

“In practise the doctrine of Social Responsibility is frequently a cloak for actions that are justified on other grounds.”

“If you just focus on Financiers, you miss what makes Capitalism tick.” – Ed Freeman

“The taxation a company receives is their form of Social Responsibility.”

Marketing: “Try positioning the product in the mind of the consumer with something that is consistent with what is already known.”

“Companies must innovate. Take Kodak for example; they got left behind.”

And as a certain Paul Cubbon described the purpose of Comm 101: “To learn, practise riding the bike. not by studying the bike all day.”

Thank you.

Rupert Peers