As the course comes to an end today (it’s the last day of classes!), I thought about the lessons I could take away from it.

Honestly, I am not able to recall every minute detail of every lecture, but the impression that I got everytime I come to class is that the lesson was fun and engaging.

I give credit to the professors and TAs who have worked hard to achieve this. You don’t always get to sit in a one-and-a-half-hour lecture that’s so full of energy!

Out of all the insights the course has provided me with, this strucked me the most : Marketing teaches you about being Creative.

The packaging needs to be ‘tempting‘ , the ads have to be ‘appealing‘ and ‘actively engaging‘ the consumers, the promotion strategies have to be different and ‘edgy‘.

It’s all about creativity.

That’s the thing that attracts people’s attention in this era.

If you want your product or your company, your ideas or whatever that you are selling to be successful, you need to have the key ingredient for it : your creative juices.

With all the unique platforms available through social media (Twitter, Youtube, Facebook etc), it’s up to your imagination how you want to present your products.

And the sky is the limit basically.

What we have to do is dig deeper into our minds, into our hearts and into our souls.

Observe more, think more, explore more.

I believe we are all born and equipped to be creative because we were all created as unique individuals to start with!

I hope that we all pick up on this important lesson and strive to achieve creativity every step along the way as we move towards success.

Here’s a great ad to drive home the message that creativity matters. Enjoy!

YouTube Preview Image

In its tenth season now, American Idol is more popular than ever.

The sensational singing competition has over 30 million viewers, each voting for their favourite contestants every week.

I have always been a big fan of American Idol, but more so this time. The diversity of talents displayed are just spectacular: each singer has their own unique style, making it so hard to single out the ‘ultimate favourite’ contestant.

15-year-old Thia Megia,one of the youngest contestants, with Beats microphone

Even if you are not a faithful follower of the show, just  watching one episode would make you notice the iconic alphabet ‘b’ which is found everywhere throughout the show. ‘b’ for Beats by Dr Dre.

Yes, Beats by Dr Dre is officially endorsed by American Idol to be used in their show throughout the whole season. From the microphones to the earphones used by the Idol crew, all you can see is the ‘b’ symbol.

Jimmy Iovine with Beats by Dr Dre cap on American Idol

It looks almost as though the show is an advertising ground for the whole line of Beats by Dr Dre products.

Endorsement definitely works. Especially if you are endorsed in a show with 30 million viewers. Think about how much exposure your products are getting.

Being on American Idol is a smart move by Dr Dre. He definitely knows where to place his products.

I bought a pair of Beats by Dr Dre earphones shortly before they were featured in American Idol. I already knew how great those expensive earphones are.

But watching my earphone being used by my idols definitely boosts my confidence in the product. More importantly, it made me feel good.

Google, the world’s leader in search engine, is redefining the business by its current introduction of the People Finder.

People Finder is a database that facilitates communication between people in the face of a disaster, such as the current Japan earthquake and tsunami. Basically it helps you to search for missing family members and friends and get an update of their status.

After such a huge disaster like the one in Japan, most telephone servers are down.This creates a lot of anxiety especially when we are trying to reach family members to find out if they are okay.

That was what happened to my mom.

Her sister lives in Tokyo Japan, and as soon as she heard about the disaster, she tried to reach her on her cellphone. But to no surprise, she couldn’t get the call through. She was very worried and needed to hear from her sister.

With the People Finder though, anyone who has an internet connection can easily access the database anywhere and update their current status and inform family members back home or anywhere in the world. Even though it’s not a hundred per cent accurate, at least it gives people a little bit of information, a bit of hope.

I applaud Google for taking their business to another level. Not only are they highly innovative, but more importantly, they are innovative for a purpose.

I think that should be the ultimate goal of whatever business we are in.

Google is in the business of providing information with excellence. Based on their strength, they are now helping and supporting the people in Japan in the aftermath of this disaster. What they are doing is life changing.

Reading some the status breaks my heart.I pray that someday Japan will see the rainbow after the rain.

keep looking »