I hate Quimet – Time of the Doves

First Impression

This week’s reading was Times of the Doves by Rodereda. The first impression I had in this book was that Quimet was a walking red flag. A few pages in, Natalia or Colometa, as Quimet would call her, had just broken up with her fiance, Pere. Quimet just did not hesitate to ask her to marry him and just practically asked if she had broken up with him. This might not necessarily be the red flag itself, as this could also be part of a cultural component or perhaps the norm of the society in that period of time. However, what really made me dislike Quimet was how he treats Natalia and how controlling he seems as a partner. Because I have already disliked his character from the start, I did not even feel like I had any remorse or felt bad when he was having what seems to be long-term or enduring leg pain. 

One segment of the book where I had wished Natalia had seen it as an indication of a red flag was when Quimet was mad because apparently, he saw Pere and Natalia at the street together. This was obviously not the case, as according to the narrator, she has not spoken to Pere since they had broken up. It felt like he was gaslighting her and putting blame that she did something inexcusable. Even if hypothetically they were down the street together, they had already broken up, so what Quimet would have been complaining about demonstrates a projection of jealousy. Although this was towards the beginning of the book and the behavior could also be explained by an episode or issues he has deep down. Possibly this was a dream that felt real to him, however, this is not to excuse how he was mad and had this audacious claim he made but rather it is just another perspective to think about. 

Quimet is obviously a character I feel strongly negative about. His character feels like the embodiment of patriarchy or the yearning to be an dominant, authoritarian figure. This seems to be a common and emerging theme that has also pertained to other novels we have read such as Shrouded Woman.  One example of how Quimet would demonstrate his authoritarian figure is that he was straight forward with being the one to choose the name of their first baby boy, despite the suggestions of name from her father. 

My speculation and feelings towards Natalia as a character is that she feels obligated to be with Quimet. Notably, the book does not explicitly nor necessarily hint at this, but Natalia seems like a character who has not had the person to talk to when it comes to problems such as talking about Quimet. Natalia’s mother has died and she has primarily her father and step mother as parental figures, but it does not seem like she has ever had the guidance in terms of looking out for signs of people to not be around or befriend. The narrator even mentions that the mother has never spoken to her about men (p. 28), which could explain why she does not see Quimet as problematic and just accepted his vow to marriage, despite his obvious red flags. 

Question:

Do you think Natalia genuinely likes or even loves Quimet?

5 thoughts on “I hate Quimet – Time of the Doves

1. mdueck01

Haha this is hilarious, I share much of your dislike for Quimet! I’m not sure, but I wonder if Natalia liked him at the beginning? It is hard to tell but I think they did have an initial connection, but I wondered about Pere and what her life would have been like with him. Very entertaining post, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Maia D.

2. pdulla

Hi Sally,

I enjoyed reading your blog post and can relate to your hatred for Quimet. I did not like his character from the start but the way he treated Natalia was very frustrating and made me dislike him even more. He was not there for his wife during her darkest times which was sad and makes you despise him. I think Natalia’s naive character resulted in an ignorance of all his red flags.

-Puneet

3. Daniel Orizaga Doguim

“she feels obligated to be with Quimet…” It seems to me that we all love to hate Quimet. However, I’m not so sure Natalia feels obligated to stay with him. It seems that she somehow feels closer than she does to Antoni, at least at the beginning of her relationship, and that she somehow awaits the return of her husband. Natalia’s psyche has more labyrinths than we suspect.

4. Avery

I feel that maybe she saw a sense of adventure and wildness in him that intrigued her? Although I think her like for him faded quite fast…I also have a strong disliking for him, he’s a women’s worst nightmare and a professional gaslighter to the max.

5. Samantha Rogers

I do think Natalia loved Quimet in some sort of way. I think especially when she meets Quimet she is quite naive which was definitely a factor in her pursuing a relationship with him. I also saw Quimet as a walking red flag. He was so controlling and reckless in the relationship. I also questioned if his leg pain was completely real or if he was over-exaggerating. I loved your response and it was great to see that someone also got this feeling about Quimet.