Resistant to the embrace of IT? BTM is here to save the day.

Ever since the in-class revelation that BTM was a rather new, unestablished idea in the business world, it gotSustainable-Technology me thinking: to what extent are firms utilizing technology systems to aid their processes, in operations or marketing, for example? A rather provocative assertion from this article suggested that future organizational flexibility with technology translates to “sustainability”, which in my opinion is such a paradigm shift when thinking back to creating shared value. There seems to be an implicit juxtaposition between sustainability in the Triple Bottom Line from a CSV point-of-view, and interestingly, achieving sustainability through strategic technology management.

Interswitch-RetailPay

However, the article goes on to describe “Retailpay”, a new app that allows managers to access records and databases on their smartphones. To me, this has so many implications on streamlining and expediting what normally would be perpetuating managerial tasks, such as sales and inventory management, market trend analysis, or even performance monitoring of employees.

I feel as if redefining the word “sustainability”, just like in  Philip Vergragt’s illustrious sustainable technology paper, is essential to understand BTM’s impact in the workplace; here, sustainability is about the maximization of efficiency and expansion of entrepreneurial (and intrapreneurial) networks, allowing businesses to relay value propositions more effectively onto consumers (i.e. shared value!).

Ultimately, it looks like BTM may happily become the new green in the global business biosphere.