Boost your career!

It’s only mid January and I already feel like its been years since the Core. In this second phase of the program it’s all about specializing (or not) in the area you like the most and above all, taking the reins of your career.

A great part about being in this program is having the support of the Sauder Business Career Center (BCC). Since you enter the MBA program, the BCC team will be reminding you to get started on your career planning. Like me, I bet that getting an MBA is mainly a way of enhancing your career or changing your area of work. Throughout the program, the BCC goes through a lot of work to give you the tools to make decisions about what you want to do and how to do it. There are two managers assigned to full-time MBAs that are there to give you advice on writing and adapting your resume, cover letters and researching careers and industries. I am a big fan of the workshops which give me ideas on topics like networking, interviewing, writing cover letters, and negotiating salaries.

If you are an international student, like me, it is an invaluable resource for starting out in a new country. Canadian students here have found the workshops very useful to polish their skills. Just imagine how expensive it is to take workshops or courses on these topics… and it’s there for you throughout the program. If you’re an international student going back to your country at the end of the program, the tools you learn here will always be useful for you.

I find that another plus for my career research has just been being able to say: “I am an MBA student at the Sauder School of Business”. It’s amazing how people’s faces change… they immediately become more interested and receptive. A big part of being here is having the “Sauder brand” in your pocket and a great team at the BCC to help you with your job seeking.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.