Sauder MBA Clubs

Hello everyone, 

I have been following your questions and I see this incoming group  has lots of questions to ask, which I think is a very good thing before getting into a b-school, as it gears one up and gives  a sense of what to expect. Thanks Alice for sharing your views.
Here is my bit of experience/advice. 
The last few months have been pretty exciting for me as Strategy club president as well as on the personal front with our team garnering the 2nd spot in the L’oreal E-strat competition among MBA teams in Canada. (The final round video of our team is up on the UBC MBA twitter web page and you can redirect yourself there-hope you guys enjoy watching it) . 
In terms of club activities and the programming that the clubs organize, I would agree with Alice and reiterate that the whole experience is what you make of it. You get as much as you put in! 
As Club President, I have had the opportunity to connect with Alumni and build relationships in the business community. The Strategy Club hosted Alumni at a Networking dinner in March (the pics and blog post are here in case you guys missed it – http://ubcmbablog.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html)
The Clubs’ activities allow people with similar interests to share their experiences and ideas with others and gain the maximum from this exchange. There are always people engaged in so many different things that I am awed at the wealth of experiences that is available within the class.
 There is also a lot happenning at the Sauder MBA Clubs in totality.  The International trade club recently organized a Vancouver Port Tour which was a very informative session. It introduced attendees to the various activities at Port Vancouver  from an SCM perspective. Speaker events such as  Consulting Clubs’ speaker series – Mr. Ken Fraser from Meyers Norris Penny spoke to club members recently at UCLL. The Negotiation clubs’ business negotiation skills seminar with executives from Bull, Housser and Tupper LLP is slated to introduce MBAs to professionals from the field of legal services. Put together, the Clubs’ activities  add an exciting dimension to the overall MBA experience.
There is a personal leadership development aspect to the post of Club President where in one gets to leverage his/her leadership and organization skills and further build on these skill sets through the program. There is also a great sense of achievement after a successful event and eventually these club activities contribute to the overall exposure of the MBA class to the business community, which I think is of immense value for all involved.
Please feel free to leave your questions / comments in case there is anything else that you wish to know. 
Cheers,
– Nikhil

1 Response to Sauder MBA Clubs

1. marry says:

Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!_____________________________Students Resource