Back to School

I was very excited to go back to school after the summer break, but I had so much on my plate when the school started, so I am sorry for the delay with my new post.

We have a new incoming class already here, it is very exciting! They all are very open and interested and it makes me realize that it was exactly a year ago when I had the same feelings and experiences (I am not going to mention the weather they got for ropes course, ours was way nicer!). MBA Office has arranged tons of events, parties and BBQs to introduce two classes to each other, and it is great to meet the new group.

MBA House has also changed – a lot of new faces and a lot of people moved out. I decided to stay – too much hassle to move out just for a couple of months, and also the last chance to enjoy the student life! By the way, they launched a new website – www.mbahouse.ca

This period I am taking more marketing classes, all of them are traditionally very good, so I am enjoying it a lot! I am taking brand management, international marketing, diversity and strategic marketing of services.

Brand management by Tim Silk – great class, great prof. I mean it! Even if you are not into marketing, my personal advice is to check this class – very interesting! The assignments (group project, cases, AC Neilsen test) are quite a lot of work, so it is demanding, but that`s all is going to pay off later at the workplace (I hope!).

International marketing and Strategic marketing of services by Kenton Low. Both courses are really good, also because of the professor. He has a lot of experience in Disney and Universal and tons of stories he is happy to share. International marketing is a combination of general marketing concepts with some accent on its international component. The main assignment for this course is the research of the new market for the real company.  Strategic management of services is, obviously, about the specifics of service business. The discussions are interesting, the content is good to know.

Diversity is the last class I am taking. It has a lot of group work during the class, which is not my favorite activity, but the cases are interesting and the readings are useful.

The life outside classes is very busy too. I am still continuing to work for my internship on part-time basis. Also I was volunteering for BCAMA Marketer of the Year event, with Rocky Mountaineer as a winner. I was responsible for corporate table sales, and the event was a great success!

Finally, we had an MBA regatta in Italy that we had an honor to attend and got the 3rd place! I will have another blog post with more details about this great experience! We are very close to be done with our MBA, just one period is left! It is exciting, but also a bit stressful, as we all are looking for full-time job right now. I will touch on that in my next blog post as well. Stay tuned!

This entry was posted in 2010 MBA Class, MBA House, Specialization. Bookmark the permalink.