Thoughts On

Blockchain’s Electricity Bill?

Posted by in Sustainability Marketing

I’m really starting to get tired of having crypto-currencies constantly thrown in my face. These damn things are so complicated! Most of the people talking about them are just complaining about missing the investment of a lifetime. The worst-of-all though are those who keep insisting, “I called it”. Did you? I don’t see your bitcoins anywhere buddy. Anyways, I get it. They’re pretty amazing once you look into them. They’re also causing a very serious energy crisis right now but I’ll get to that. Bitcoin was created by unknown genius…read more

0

A Damper on the City’s Sustainable Plans!

Posted by in Sustainability Marketing

Vancouver has always been a city that strives to be better than itself. You have to commend both the provincial and the federal government for doing such a great job in natural resource management and generally building a greener, healthier province. Currently, the city has a new Renewable City Strategy which sets the ambitious goal of becoming 100% renewable by 2050. The province is planning on achieving this objective through a variety of methods which include the Zero Emissions Building Plan (ZEBP) and Green Buildings Policy for Re-zonings. The ZEBP…read more

0

Kelp! Kelp! SEA-What I mean?

Posted by in Sustainability Marketing

In a world where bacon is poisoning us, lab-grown meat is a juicy investment, and insect protein is continuing to gain popularity as a valid food source, you really should start worrying about your food. In the bigger picture the entire agricultural industry needs to be re-worked, and so do our general food habits. More sustainable foods will become more popular with time purely out of need, some will gain popularity faster than others. Some foods will face resistance. Now let’s say there is a crop that requires you to…read more

1

Cleaner Ships or We’re All Sunk!

Posted by in Sustainability Marketing

We’ve studied how companies are using the SCOR Model to garner more value through ethical, social, economic and environmental drivers within their supply chain. One very important part of most companies supply chain is shipping. About 90 percent of everything we buy as consumers will travel on ships at some point. These same ships are also burning fossil fuel and contributing significantly to warming atmospheres and shifting climates. The main issue with these cargo ships is that they still use “bunker fuel”; the crude, sludgy remains of the petroleum refining process….read more

0

Atmospheres Vacuum?

Posted by in Sustainability Marketing

Countries that have consistently remained the biggest polluters on a global scale have not been very good at keeping their promises. We are dangerously close to crossing the 2°C limit set by the Paris Climate Agreement. With humans producing over 40 trillion kgs of carbon dioxide every year, there is very little hope left in the situation. However, there is one technology that was created to directly combat the threat posed by carbon dioxide. It’s called direct-air capture, and it consists of machines that work like a tree does, sucking…read more

0

Don’t Palm Off These Beautiful Creatures!

Posted by in Sustainability Marketing

Even though Greenwashing is on the decline these days, it is still prevalent across many popular industries. It’s very popular to scrutinize the legitimacy of the commitment of bigger and more mature companies to their “Green” initiatives and goals. This scrutiny is well deserved because most of the times these giant companies are also some of the biggest polluters and creators of negative externalities further down their products supply chain. Two critical factors firms do consider when communicating their value proposition to consumers is engagement and more importantly credibility as…read more

3

Tuna In For This!

Posted by in Sustainability Marketing

Tuna is the world’s favorite fish. The high demand for tuna has led to overexploitation of tuna populations through industrialized fishing methods leading to the complete devastation of some marine environments. Sharks, turtles, whales, dolphins, and seabirds are all creatures that have suffered the fate of being bycatch when fishing for tuna on a large scale. Thankfully, a more sustainable fishing method – pole and line – has gained increasing popularity amongst conscious consumers and is pushing most major brands and big retailers to provide a pole and line option….read more

4

My Issue with Tea and How CSV is Fixing It!

Posted by in Sustainability Marketing

Ah, tea! A favourite of my parents, my roommate and almost every person I’ve encountered. As I understand it contains a high level of anti-oxidants and can soothe and relax. I would not be considered a big fan, however. To meet the global demand for tea, vast expanses of rainforest are cut down, farmlands are converted to giant pest-attracting tea estates. These tea estates then require loads of pesticide and fertilizer to maintain which ruin the soil and poison the underpaid and unfairly treated workers. A great example of this…read more

2