Kia Soul – Targeting New Drivers

The automobile market is one of complexity. It deals with numerous demographics, most apparently separating consumers based on wealth and age. Kia’s new marketing campaign is targeting their customers by just that. The Kia Soul has been around now for a few years, and is a lower end vehicle catering to a younger demographic that is looking for a low cost, “hip” vehicle. Kia has definitely catered to their target market through the advertisement above. With it’s futuristic look, simulating what most sci-fi video games look like it appeals to the young gaming audience. It then brings in “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO, a popular pop song as well as dancing hamsters to appeal to a whole different pop culture target market. Their target age range is apparent as not many individuals over the age of 30 would know the references. They then further segment their audience at the end of the commercial when an overlay announcing a price of under 14k appears, obviously appealing to consumers in the low end automobile market. Overall, I would say that Kia’s new marketing strategy for the Soul is effective in promoting the vehicle for  their target market.

1 thought on “Kia Soul – Targeting New Drivers

1. I’m not sure if it’s just my immature side coming out or not, but either way, I can’t help but smile when I see this commercial; not a LOL kind of commercial, but a solid advertisement that puts a smile on my face. Moreover, I definitely agree with you Sean. The commercial is targeted towards a younger and more “hip” crowd. By using LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem” song, Kia is able to create a connection with its targeted audience by introducing a Top 40 Hit that most teenagers/young adults can familiarize with. This celebrity endorsement yields an image and perception of the Kia Soul; the Kia Soul has a fun and “hot” identity that their target market appeals to. All in all, I also believe that this advertisement is an effective marketing tool in the sense that it (1) catches your attention and, for the most part, (2) establishes a relationship between LMFAO’s song and the car. On the other hand, despite being a catchy commercial, I don’t think I’m sold on buying the Kia Soul quite yet.