3.3 – Found Allusions in GGRW

Thomas King’s “Green Grass Running Water” is a novel rich with an amalgamation of historical, pop-cultural and politically charged allusions. In my reading of the text and, more specifically, the range of text I will be covering in this blog post, I was able to uncover at least a few of these cleverly incorporated allusions (albeit after much re-reading and outside research).

The first of these allusions came to mind as I read about the theft of Milford’s truck. In this section, Milford’s truck is taken without his consent or knowledge, and sold to a car dealer named Fred Peterson. The theft is initially reported to a man named Amos who works for the tribal police. When Milford comes across his truck in Peterson’s parking lot, Amos is alerted and proceeds to confront Fred Peterson about the matter. Peterson, however, states that he has a bill of sale with Milford’s signature on it. On the bill of sale, Milford’s name is misspelled as “Melfred”; a clear indication that his signature was forged and the bill of sale was not authentic. Peterson, however, disrespectfully dismisses what Amos is saying and exhibits a  disdain towards both Amos and Milford, as well as the larger community of First Nations people. In response to Amos’ suggestion that the bill of sale was not signed by Milford, Peterson simply states that Milford must have signed it and was likely drunk, desperate for money and/or simply forgotten he signed it. Peterson clearly displays his lack of regard for First Nations people, assuming that these negative character traits can be used to describe Milford (and in general, all First Nations people) and, further, that he has no regard for the ownership of property by First Nations’ individuals. The scenario that transpires between Amos, Milford and Peterson reminded me of past legislation that has served to abolish and show blatant disregard for Aboriginal land claims. In the CanLit guides, Fee and Flick mention, for example, the “Bursum Bill of 1921” which sought to remove land from Pueblos (Native Americans in the Southwestern United States) and give the rights to this land to “non-Indians”. A disregard for the land rights and opinions of First Nations people is also evident in the White Paper of 1969. Similar to the “bill of sale” presented by Peterson, the White Paper and Bursum Bill were not agreed upon by First Nations people. The White Paper was, quite frankly, an act displaying blatant disregard to First Nations peoples’ desires, identities and land claims, as well as a covert means of assimilating First Nations people into a colonial conception of Canadian identity. The misspelling of “Milford” as “MelFRED” stood out to me as a smaller-scale display of this assimilation process.

The CanLit guides proved to be an indispensible resource as I searched for allusions within the text. I would not have known, for example, that Buffalo Bill Bursum was an allusion to two men who were “famous for their hostility to Indians” (CanLit guides). I mentioned the Bursum Bill of 1921 above and this bill was proposed by none other than Holm O. Bursum, a senator from New Mexico. There is some discussion of his lack of regard for Aboriginal land rights above so I will move on… “Buffalo Bill” refers to a man named William F. Cody who was known for exploiting First Nations people for entertainment purposes in “Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Shows”. The shows depicted a “western cowboy” mentality, in which First Nations people were shown as inferior adversaries to the ever-heroic white cowboy! King’s Bursum exhibits these same character traits and discriminatory views of Indians as inherently lesser and, furthermore, as a white man’s entertainment.

Perhaps a more obvious allusion in this section the mention of John Wayne; an actor who often played the “heroic white cowboy” who would defeat the antagonistically depicted First Nations people. These western films and John Wayne’s role as a victor in these films have created a pop-cultural reference point that justifies the depiction of First Nations people as stereotypically defined adversaries and, furthermore, has served to normalize and perpetuate violence and discrimination against First Nations people as well. The narrative put forth in these media depictions is one that favours the colonial settler and positions him/her as the dominant societal figure while diminishing the identity and importance of First Nations peoples. King, in his novel, shifts the narrative by making the First Nations people in the film the victors and bringing John Wayne to an untimely death.

As mentioned, these are only a few of the allusions that I could find/decided to share here! I hope you found this post interesting and informative! Also, please note that due to the confusion surrounding page numbers, this covers pages 300 – 317 in the 2007 edition (the one made available at UBC Bookstore) of Green Grass Running Water! 

Collier, John. “Pueblos’ Last Stand.” Pueblos’ Last Stand :: Western Waters – NEH. J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah. Web. 17 Mar. 2015. <http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/wwdl-neh/id/6412>
“Common Portrayals of Aboriginal People.” Common Portrayals of Aboriginal People. Web. 17 Mar. 2015. <http://mediasmarts.ca/diversity-media/aboriginal-people/common-portrayals-aboriginal-people>
Fee, Margery and Flick, Jane. “Coyote Pedagogy: Knowing Where the Borders Are in Thomas King’s Green Grass, Running Water.” Canlit.ca: Canadian Literature, 2012. Web. 17 Mar. 2015

2 thoughts on “3.3 – Found Allusions in GGRW

1. Hello Shamina,

I just wanted to start by saying that you have such great energy and it really comes through in your writing!! I love it.

Anyways. Back to business. John Wayne. The representation of John Wayne.

Firstly, I have never heard of John Wayne before I read this book. All I know about him is what I’ve read in GGRW and in Flick’s Reading notes. I think I was reading another blog where the author was commenting on John Wayne and I linked it here, in case you’re interested –> https://blogs.ubc.ca/hjalena/2015/03/16/3-3-a-river-of-allusions/#comments

Secondly, the point you mentioned about there being no regard for the ownership of property by the Aboriginal people. I think King is using this image to bring to attention the culture that exists currently. Where the taking away of possessions from the Aboriginal people will not be met with consequences because it is not possible for Aboriginal people to own anything. Hence if you took it away from them, it is fine, because it was never theirs. This is also the attitude towards land. The patterns of colonization continue to perpetuate itself in situations like the one in the text. Colonizers claimed the land as their own as it was never the “Indian’s”. Why has that thinking passed on for so long? Why is that thinking still permeating this day and age? Why can the “Indian” never be good enough to own anything? These are the questions I think Thomas King is challenging us to answer, and perhaps through this exercise realize that what we have learnt about the “Indian” and ownership is false.

You don’t have to have a piece of paper in order to own something. That is a standard set by a different culture. Ownership is determined differently in every culture. We need to see and understand that.

Qihui Huang

2. Hi Qihui!
    Thanks so much for your comment! 🙂 I am glad you enjoy my writing, what a lovely compliment 😀

Thank you, also, for linking me to Lauren’s blog! I am very intrigued by her discussion of John Wayne as I, too, knew very little about him prior to doing some research for this topic. I vaguely recall coming across the name some time ago, and so I was drawn immediately to looking him up as I knew there would be much to be uncovered in his relevance to the story. I think the allusion to Wayne speaks to a larger story about the media’s framing of First Nations people – especially in the classic “western”.

I very much appreciate you drawing attention to the present conditions of First Nations land ownership issues in Canada. Yes, it is certainly evident in Canadian history – but so very prevalent today as well. I love your comment that “ownership is determined differently in every culture” – I think this is very relevant to our discussion of Canada’s “us” versus “them” dichotomy that has persisted to this day and age where, despite our “multiculturalism”, there is a very evident central notion of what constitutes “our” values and which voices are being privileged through these underlying notions that inform the everyday realities of Canadian life.

You bring up some very interesting questions, and I absolutely agree that King wants us to dig beyond the surface of what we accept as the “norm” and question WHO sets this norm, why it exists, and how it affects the power structures in Canada.

Thanks again for commenting 🙂