Welcome!

Hi there!

Let me begin by briefly introducing myself to those who have intentionally or perhaps accidentally stumbled upon my blog for ENGL 470! My name is Shamina and I hope to be pursuing a career in Social Work in the near future and am especially passionate about matters concerning mental health, immigration and child welfare. Although I have been residing in Canada for the majority of my life as a permanent resident, I did not become a Canadian citizen until I was in the tenth grade. Interestingly, however, I have always identified as “Canadian” and, for me, identity formation has been a complex and confusing process.

I am thrilled to be posting to my blog for the first time. For the duration of this course, this will serve as a vehicle for me to express my thoughts and share my analyses on the various pieces of Canadian literature we will all be looking at this semester, as well as specific themes of Aboriginal identity, nation-building, and so forth. I also hope that my posts will provide its readers with some thought-provoking insights that allow for further discussion in the comments section! The subject matter of ENGL 470 appealed to me instantly and the structure of the course is completely new to me. Despite having taken online courses before, I have never been introduced to a course that relied on participation and commentary as its crux, and I am so very excited to be a part of this new and exciting venture!

Continuous Journey - photomontage - c2004

(Image source: Vancouver Observer)

The image I have chosen to share with you is of two passengers who were aboard the Komagata Maru ship which arrived in Vancouver from India in 1914 (read more about this here). Most immigrants aboard the ship were turned away from Canada. This image is iconic, especially amongst the South Asian communities residing within Canada. The “incident” has sparked much debate, and serves as a reminder of the exclusive legislations and regulations that sought to build Canada within a specific framework that favoured European settlers and immigration. I have chosen to share this image on my blog because I believe it illustrates the intentional creation of a specific hegemony within Canada’s nation and the often discriminatory practices that were used in the creation of dominant narratives. These immigration laws, however, are only one part of this exclusionary approach. The colonization and dispossession of Aboriginal land and their traditional way of life has been another such mechanism in the creation of these dominant ideologies.

In the past, I have taken courses (primarily in Sociology) that focus on the dominant narratives in nation-building through an analysis of historical timelines, immigration laws, etc. I am interested in taking ENGL 470 for the different angle it will take in addressing and uncovering these narratives. The focus on Canadian literature and its analysis allows for, I believe, a means of deciphering covert and symbolic messages that discuss and provide commentary on these narratives and alternative narratives. I cannot wait to put my analytic skills to the test!

Works Cited:

“History of Vancouver – Komagata Maru.” History of Vancouver – Komagata Maru. Web. 9 Jan. 2015. <http://www.vancouverhistory.ca/archives_komagatamaru.htm>.

“Lessons from the Komagata Maru.” Opinion. Web. 9 Jan. 2015. <http://www.vancouverobserver.com/opinion/lessons-komagata-maru>.

“Understand Permanent Resident Status.” Government of Canada, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Communications Branch. Web. 9 Jan. 2015. <http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp>

2 thoughts on “Welcome!

1. Hello Shamina, nice to meet you, I look forward to your contributions to our course of studies this semester – a very good introduction blog indeed – but, one note for you: please do not “centre” your text on the page – use the right justification. Thanks. You links work well, your visual is effective and I am happy to see you using citations. Enjoy