RE: A New Target Audience

by sharonmui

Target’s arrival will certainly raise a much attention, and I have no doubt that stores will successful. I also agree with Sam Dunner’s comment in his blog post that other retailers in Canada will not suffer a loss of demand but and benefit from the extra traffic caused by the new Target locations. A Canadian Business article states that Jeremy Reitman of Reitman’s Women’s clothing was able to gain success when the first arrival of Walmart to Canada occurred and he believes that “Target could single-handedly save hundreds of malls and plazas that would otherwise slowly die.” Even unemployed workers of Canada will be able to reap rewards with Target providing over 30 000 new workers. As you can see in the video at the opening of Target Canada’s headquarters, people are excited to join and work within the Target family.

My concern, however, stems from my status as a consumer. Although I believe that Target’s prices will be lower than most competitors in Canada, I wonder if the prices will be low enough to deter my family from taking short trips south of the border to the United States (US) for our shopping needs. In international stores like Hollister Clothing company, I notice that the same item of clothing has a noticeably higher price in Canada as compared to the US, and this is all before BC’s harmony tax.  Will this situation happen with Target? Or is the company able to sustain low and affordable goods for all of North America?