Less Effort, More Profits!

by sheensagalongos

Looking through my classmates’ blogs, I found a number of interesting topics I never would’ve stumbled upon in my own time. Though the one I found most interesting was Phil Allmark’s blogpost about Apple and their slogans; having said that, we already have had a discussion about this when he brought up the subject when he was writing the said post last term so I’m slightly already biased.

Similar to Phil’s rants, I agree that Apple does have some strange promotional slogans. Way before Apple was an icon mainstream culture, they had a number of campaigns like “Byte into an Apple” and “Switch” (when they were just about to get really big) that were really clever and successful. As well as pretty nice slogans such as “Thinnovation” and “Tap into what’s new” to promote the Macbook Air and the iPod Touch.

Now, however, they seem to be sliding down into something that’s totally uncreative and might even seem a bit arrogant and pompous to some. Their campaign a few years back was “Get a Mac.” Come on, how is that good marketing? I mean it probably was successful for them since probably 90% of students have a Mac instead of a PC, but it’s just a tad bit dumb that people would be swayed with an add that says “Get a Mac.” The iPhone line suffers from the same marketing strategy: “The first phone to beat the iPhone.”, “If you don’t have an iPhone, well you don’t have an iPhone.”, “The biggest thing to happen to the iPhone since the iPhone.” Need I say more?

Their latest one yet: the iPad Mini

Obviously I don’t hate Apple, I for one am an iPhone user (though it’s the only Apple product I own). But it’s ridiculous to see how they are dominating the industry with such marketing campaigns.  Most companies struggle to even get their brand out there and here’s Apple just basically telling people to get a Mac (and they do!). It goes to show how their customer base is very loyal to their brand. Most Apple product owners usually own more than one product and this loyalty obviously insulates and protects the company from their competitors. Because of this, they can get away with their ridiculous slogans without losing a big share of their consumers.