Marketing Plan Assignments Reflection

by sheensagalongos

Initially, I dreaded marketing class in general because I saw marketing as a very artsy class -that someone had to be the creative type to do well and enjoy this class. After a while, however, when we started to get into details and got our hands dirty with the team project, I quickly learned that there is so much more to marketing than advertising. Marketing = advertising. That was my mindset before. I started enjoying going to class, the lessons, and the work itself to the point that I’m heavily considering changing my intended specializations for next year.

The video project itself was a challenge, not only for myself, but for the whole team in general. None of  us had any experience whatsoever in making and editing videos which caused conflicts and more burden upon our shoulders. Coming up with ideas was the easy part, but the technical aspect of this project made it really difficult for us to convey what we wanted to say has caused us to spend significantly more time trying to figure out how to do things and such. Evidently, we became more cooperative with each other with regards to decisions because none of us really knew how to make a video.

Because of these assignments, I felt that I did things that I normally wouldn’t have. For example, I’m the one who always took initiative and got our group and responsibilities straightened out. Normally, I would be the one on the receiving end. Additionally, one thing I would’ve changed is to delegate less parts for myself. I usually have teams that composed of keeners (me being one of them!) so the work was usually split pretty evenly unlike this one.

One thing I have to say is that I know this is a marketing class and we are encouraged to do our own thing and be creative so a video project would make sense, yet I felt that I would’ve personally benefited more if we presented in class since Sauder is first and foremost a business school and I want to get more practice on presenting. Having said that, I did learn technical skills from the last project but I’ll still try my best to stay away from digital media stuff as much as possible in the future. Not really my thing! I’d personally prefer to do the research.

Overall, the assignments were a good way of applying the things we learned in class. I thought it was a really fair (and fun!) application of our knowledge and skills because we get to work on a specific case or company. Comm 296 is easily one of the best and most interesting classes I’ve taken in my university career! Thanks for making it enjoyable and worthwhile, Tamar! 🙂