Perec Reflection

This week I read W, or the Memory of Childhood. The structure of this novel was very unique, two books in one. As readers, we were challenged to see how the two fit together and decide if they did at all. “W” is a fictional story about a voyage to the fictional island of W. “The Memory of Childhood” is the other story and Perec’s memoir where he pieces together memories that help him recreate his past. 

The reconstruction of memories was an interesting thing to read. It made me realize how trauma can influence memories and how they can be changed and altered. Perec claims he has no childhood memories (pg 6) and continues to take us through all the memories of his life and how they are different and similar in his own history. Sometimes he would second guess facts, “she used to give me two francs every morning (I think it was two francs)”(pg 28). Sometimes memory can seem to be entirely intact until small pieces of information become unclear. This idea reminded me of a memory that I have that has clearly been altered because of the trauma that goes with it. Three years ago, my brother and I were in a car accident, we were both ok, but it was still clearly a traumatic experience. To this day, I am confident that we were driving home from the mall, and I could tell you what song was playing when we were hit, whereas my brother swears I was dropping him off at a friend’s house and claims he’s never heard the song I remember playing. We still have very different accounts of what happened three years later, even though we seemingly have the same memory. 

At the end of the novel, I was left with the question, why were these novels intertwined? What relevance did they have to each other, or was there any? I think that they are extremely connected in some ways and in different ways, not at all. The “W” being written by Perec as a child allows him and us as readers to be taken back to his childhood and allows us to connect to his memories in a unique way. In a way, it’s an accurate depiction of how memory works. Particular objects, places, and people can transport you back, and in a way, the story, although not necessarily relevant in context, allows us to take that trip with him. 

I would like to know if anyone else has specific memories that differ from what really happened or what others said happened? And what makes a memory truly memorable?

3 Comments

Filed under Perec

3 Responses to Perec Reflection

1. Jennifer Nagtegaal

Spencer, that is quite a connection you make to Perec’s illustration of trauma and memory (and I’m glad to hear you were both okay in the end!). Thanks for sharing and relating to the reading….

2. Mackenzie

Hi Spencer! The connection you made between your experience and the author’s experience of trauma and its effect on memories is really interesting. I think that what makes a memory truly memorable is wholly based on the individual. What is significant to one might be insignificant to another even when the event that occurs is the same. On the same note, it’s very weird to think about how when an event happens it happens the same for everyone but people can perceive said event so differently!

-Mackenzie Dewar-Pratt

3. arielle lapre

Hi Spencer!
    I’m intrigued by the connection you made with your personal experience and the narrator’s experience with memory and trauma. I really like the question you posed “what makes a memory truly memorable”? I think for a moment to stick with us it commonly has significant value by experiencing trauma, embarrassment, or happiness. I feel like random trips to the grocery store or something you do quite often just becomes routine or meshed into one memory. I’m curious what others have to say in class!