Unit 3: Reflection

The Unit 3 mainly focuses on “You Attitude” writing strategy and Proposal report. The first part is “You Attitude” which is a really useful strategy of writing in the real life. The second part is the most monumental task in this course. Since we had already done a lot of preparing works such as report progress memo, peer reviewing and prepared survey and interviews, formal report is less daunting than I expected.

You Attitude

Before practicing of You Attitude writing strategy, I didn’t realize my writing for the previous assignments such as peer review was somewhat impolite. The core of this writing strategy is to switch the position when you want to persuade other people. Avoiding using pronouns when criticizing, keeping a positive tone, and emphasizing reader’s benefit instead of yourself are simple strategy make the writing more effective and persuasive. I start to implement this strategy in my email when I communicate with Go Global office and HR.It is a surprise to see some of the replies use the same strategy.

Formal report

At this stage of writing formal report, I feel I went back to my previous university writing essays about policy or literature. This assignment requires communication, insightful ideas and critical thinking which I haven’t enjoy for a while since the study of computer science and pressure to find a internship occupied my life.I also received an invitation for an interview from a friend taking ENGL301. The interview went amazing, we had a discussion about the impact of pandemic on distant study. I am tried of locking myself in a room and facing computer studying for whole day. Since my report is about waste management in Edinburgh, this assignment give an opportunity to reconnect to my friends in Edinburgh.This is not just a piece of work but a break to escape the disappoinment and recharge myself by reaching out the real people in my life.

Peer review of formal report is a process of self reflection. I notice there are some similar issues in my report that could confuse its readers due to the disorganization of the Data anayasis. The strategy of combine Data analysis and arguments need more practice.

Enclosure: 301-Shuge-Luo-Formal-Report-Draft

Unit Two Reflection

Unit Two Reflection

In Unit Two, we are introduced to drafting a proposal from the formal report and setting up a networking profile like LinkedIn in a professional way. It was quite challenging for me since the first task requires time to selecting a research topic and the second task requires me to explore a new platform where I can connect with professionals. Searching best practices online and reading my teammate’s posts gave me a lot of useful ideas. Overall, the engagement of this unit is valuable.

For my formal report, I decided to choose the topic of waste management in Edinburgh. Since I was studying in Edinburgh last year, the relative course project allowed me to dive into the area I am interested in. I did a lot of research about this topic and I have a good deal of insight to offer. However, the process of writing a formal report was not as easy as I was expected. The proposal should be structured with an introduction to the problem, proposing a solution, and defining the scope and audience. I was confused with the first two parts when I trying to give my audience the background of my topic which also include a solution to some extends. The scope of proposal did help me understand my goals and direction. The instructor points out the logic problem in my previous proposal, and it made me realize that I need a outline to keep the logic solid. Overall, the task of writing a formal report is challenging but improved my writing techniques.

The assignment of setting LinkedIn profile required us to gather 10 best practice and implement in our profile. Some of the tips look obvious, such as giving a short title and having a profile photo. However, I notice that there are many of the LinkedIn members haven’t provided their photos and leave the title blank. Giving a concise introduction to the previous working experience was the most difficult part. Since I had no working experience related to tech, I need to highlight the communication skills learned from my previous job which could benefit me in terms of working in a tech company. I was also wondering if it is necessary to put my previous degree in the education experience section. After the peer review, I Listed all relevant technical skills and did the test provided by LinkedIn.

This unit gave me a lot of enjoyable experiences and also make me realize there are spaces for improvement such as peer reviewing and drafting outline. I learn useful tips from my teammates and the instructor’s blog which I hope could help me do better in the next assignment.

Peer Review of proposal

Revised Formal Proposal

Unit One Reflection

The whole definition process was quite challenging, but I learn a lot from writing definitions and peer view. The course textbook gave me a couple of techniques to expand my definition on which I initially assume my team has some related base level of knowledge. The first version of my definition was kind of disorganized due to the ambition to cover all the information I desire to give to readers. However, I found it is better to focus on one or two points which could give readers a clue what I am going to present and what I expected my reader to learn. With the enclosed code, I attempted to explain the term I delivered in a story-telling way which guarantees that my audience from all educational backgrounds will be able to relate and understand the term.

The technique introduced from the textbook seems to work for Enguang. He clearly understood the term and where to implement the coding technique, but some jargon, such as “nested function”, “SECD machine”, did prevent him to further explore my definition. Having a clear estimation of the potential audience’s background is key to make sure your reader has no issues understanding your writing.

Another part of learning through peer viewing Enguang’s definitions gave me a sense of what my definition lacking and how to organize them in a reader-friendly way. His work was insightful and employed a similar expansion technique mentioned in the textbook. From the perspective of the reader, I was able to identify the blind spots I missed as a writer. Giving readers a clear logic walks through the writing to ensure them on the same page with you. I adopt this technique to my own revised assignment and I realized that all the techniques do not aim to make your works look fancy but to help the audience to get a better understanding. Following this rule, analogy stands out to me as the term I delivered saw some complexity in the process. Simplifying the definition with an interesting analogy guarantees my audience will be able to find at least the key point of the definition not missing.

Kind regards,

Shuge

Writing Team Invitations

To: Anusha Saleem, ubcasal15@gmail.com

From: Shuge Luo, shuge@student.ubc.ca

Date: September 22, 2020

Subject: ENGL 301 Writing Team Invitation

Hello Anusha,

I am Shuge Luo and I am a first-year student of BCS program. I am reaching out because I couldn’t help but notice your extensive background in the industry, and how this work experience translates into the commutation skills required in this class. That could be a valuable asset if we can form a writing team.

Besides, the alignment in our background as computer science student would contribute towards a strong basis in our technical writing. I am eager to connect to students in my cohort. Likewise, I am not a native English speaker and your passion and hardworking truly aligned with my beliefs that we can contribute to our team with unique skills and experiences from different backgrounds.

Attached to this email please find my letter of application. I would be honored if we form a writing team together.

301 Shuge Luo Application Letter

Kind regards,

Shuge

Continue reading

Memo

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, English 301 99A Instructor

From: Shuge Luo, English 301 99A Student

Date: September 18, 2020

Subject: ENGL301 Writing Team Application Letter Summary

I have written a Letter of Application to establish myself as a committed teammate for ENGL301 Writing Team. You can find a copy of my Letter of Application enclosed in this memo, and I provided a summary below.

• Hope to be considered for a position in a writing team with an overview of my educational background.
  • Advantages that the previous degree offered me.
  • My experience in fieldwork keeps me be open-minded.

Please keep me informed if there is any additional information you need.

Kind regards,

Shuge

301 Shuge Luo Application Letter

Application Letter

ShuGuang Rd, Yuhua District,

Changsha, China

September 18, 2020

ENGL 301 99A – Technical Writing
University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4

Dear fellow ENGL 301 99A classmates:

I am Shuge and I am writing to apply for the position of the candidate for your writing team this term. I am a graduate of Anhui University located in China with a bachelor’s in Chinese Language and Literature. In June, the University of British Columbia offered me a position in the BCS program which provides a platform for students with diverse educational backgrounds to find their interests in the field of computer science and boost their career life in the tech industry.

As a student of Chinese Language and Literature, I had the experience of mentoring students of all ages and sorting out problems relating to different cultural backgrounds. Past teaching shows me the importance of communicating precisely with patients. Although creative writing and literary critics are my strengths, I have been practicing procedural writing with letters, reports in professional settings for the last year. Over the creative course I took at the University of Edinburgh, I managed to work with my teammates to deliver a practical solution for Zero Waste Scotland, the process of which required verbal and written communication in all forms.

I am also experienced in conducting fieldwork and interviews in the rural area. In fieldwork, I learned the way to communicate with those who share different values through life experience. Being open-minded to understand from their perspective refined my work ethic. Sometimes there could be misunderstand happened specifically when talking to short-tempered elderly people. They are listening to assess how receptive I am to their point of view and I need to concede there are other views different from my own. I believe that regardless of where are they come from, there is always something new I can learn from them or the reflection of society.

In closing, I admit that I may not be as good as a native speaker, but I will try my best to fit in and learn from you. I am looking forward to gaining better writing skills with you and please email me at shuge@student.ubc.ca.

Kind regards,

Shuge

301 Shuge Luo Application Letter