Introduction

Posted by in Uncategorized

To my fellow ENGL 470 classmates, Dr. Paterson, and anyone who may have stumbled upon this blog site – welcome! My name is Simran Chalhotra, and I am a third year arts student, majoring in anthropology and minoring in English language. Upon graduation, I will study for my Bachelors in Education, to become a high school teacher! I am delighted to be a part of this course and all that it both teaches and challenges us to do. I am definitely a “beginner blogger,” but I look forward to what this course (and all of you) will be teaching me, both in terms of the course’s content, and in practical skills of blogging and online collaboration.

I am happy to know that this course focuses on Indigenous literature in the context of Canadian history. Being a recent high school student myself, I cannot recall a significant enough time in my high school career where there was an emphasis on Indigenous voices. Since coming to UBC, my eyes have definitely been more opened to Indigenous culture and celebrations of their art, history, and literature. Despite this reality, as a future high school teacher who will need to educate her students on this topic, I experience a lack of knowledge. That is why I am looking forward to this course, as we are learning about Canadian history in terms of discrimination and colonization, but are also given the opportunity to celebrate Indigenous traditions of literature.

As a UBC member, one thing that I will never forget is the Reconciliation Pole located at the Vancouver campus. This was carved by James Hart, was raised in April of 2017, and tells us about the destruction caused by the residential school system in Canada. I highly recommend that you read this article and take a look at the attached visual in this blog, which depicts a very powerful image. Also, if you go to the Vancouver campus and have not seen it yet, please pay it a visit! It is right next to the Forestry building, so you can get some coffee and Timbits from the Tim Hortons right next door!

To switch gears, when I think about Canadian literature, one of the first authors/poets that comes to mind is Michael Ondaatje. One of the themes of his poem, The Cinnamon Peeler is how the value of traumas and experiences lies behind the associated story being told. I believe this ties in to the overall sentiment of this course: the power of stories and storytelling.

Anyways, that’s me! I look forward to getting to know all of you – cheers to a great semester and feel free to ask me any questions, anytime!

CBC News. “Reconciliation totem pole goes up at UBC.” CBC News, https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/reconciliation-totem-pole-goes-up-at-ubc-1.4050078. Accessed 7 January 2019.

Hart, James. Reconciliation Pole. 2017. UBC Campus, Vancouver. Vancouver Courier, https://www.vancourier.com/news/hundreds-raise-reconciliation-totem-pole-at-ubc-1.13794494. Accessed 7 January 2019.

Ondaatje, Michael. “The Cinnamon Peeler.” Lyrikline, https://www.lyrikline.org/en/poems/cinnamon-peeler-6570. Accessed 7 January 2019.