Hopping Things Up at the Frog Hollow Neighbourhood House: Maria’s Story

Hello everyone!

My name is Maria and I am (or should I say was) a student in the Global Citizens CAP stream. Soci 100, a course I presume you readers are taking, provides a great opportunity for you to get involved in communities that may not be as privileged as others. (Plus, it does help not to write a 16 page research essay.)

I was placed in the Frog Hollow Neighbourhood House, a community centre-like establishment in the Renfrew-Hastings area. My role as a volunteer was to help with the Saturday Youth Connections program, where newcomers who are new to Canada will have a safe place to learn about Canadian culture, their community and practice their English. It was a program focused on permanent residences, but had an overwhelmingly attendance of international students.

My very first assignment as a volunteer at this placement was to plan and facilitate a Christmas gingerbread making project for the students attending. The students would learn how to measure ingredients and follow the recipe while getting volunteer hours for doing so. Through this activity, I grew close with many of the students while at the same time, was observing sociological concepts, such as impression management. There was a girl who was very hostile and rebellious towards the volunteers while the instructions were being given out. However, when the volunteers attempted to break down the language barrier by listening more attentively and encouraging the girl to speak more English, the girl was able to enjoy herself and socialize with her peers better.

The next activity left the biggest impression on me. The volunteer coordinator gathered the Trek students to discuss possible events and activities for the new year. Arguably the most important fact I learned that day was that the Saturday program could only receive funding if the neighbourhood house turned in 50 new Permanent Residence codes to the government per year. This meant that in order to keep the program running, the neighbourhood house had to attract as many new Permanent Residences as they possibly could, whether it be through means of prizes, or free food. It was a struggle to keep the program alive.

From this, I continued throughout the day, questioning myself, unsure of my motive to volunteer. I had originally intended to make a positive impact on the youth’s lives, but to learn that all I could do was sit at a table waiting for three people to show up for a giftcard draw was, to say the least, disheartening. To be perfectly honest, it felt like bribery to me. To advertise to permanent residences to bring their friends for a chance to win a $50 Metrotown giftcard didn’t line up with the program statement I had originally seen on the Frog Hollow website. Instead of “skill development, support services for post-secondary & career planning, homework support, and volunteer opportunities”, all that remained were false promises and a strayed mission.

Looking back at what I’ve just written, this all seems so negative and makes Trek seem like it isn’t a good choice to opt for. Before you stop reading, however, I’d like to say, as surprising as it may be, this experience helped me to grow in maturity and in understanding unfortunate circumstances that sometimes inevitably arise. The Frog Hollow Neighbourhood House and its staff try their best to provide a safe place for the youth. Even though they have strayed from their mission in a struggle to keep the program afloat, I believe and I hope that they can overcome this struggle. As upcoming sociologists, I believe we can learn much from critically observing real life situations, where not all is shiny and bright.

Whether your experience is similar to mine, or whether it is on a more light hearted note, I believe that Trek is a great opportunity to network, grow, and experience things you may never have before. Take advantage of this while you can, and I wish you all the best of luck!