RMST 202 INTRODUCTION

Hello Everyone!

My name is Sophia Cinelli and I am a second-year student, majoring in psychology and minoring in sociology. I am from Vancouver BC and I really enjoy skiing and hiking.

I decided to take this class as I am interested in romance literature and assumed that is what we would be learning about. Upon further investigation and our first lecture, I realised that most of our readings were not based on romance. However, it made me realise how this class will give me the opportunity to branch out from my typical genre of books. I am excited to start the readings for this class and intrigued to be reading books from all over, ones that I probably would not discover on my own. I think this class will introduce me to a wider range of literature, to which I have had little to no exposure to before. I am hoping that after this class, I will have sparked an interest for literature that is out of the ordinary- ones I don’t usually read. I am most excited to read Bonjour Tristesse, as I feel that one may be the most related out of the list. However, I am sure there will be some I come across that surprisingly intrigue me as well.

The outline of this class is one I have never encountered before. Being able to pre determine your grade and then work within those guidelines eases some anxiety and will help with my learning as it takes off a lot of pressure.

During the “Inventing Romance Studies” lecture, I was able to pick up on how romance studies is not tied to any particular place in the world, and as Prof. Murray states it is “deterritorialized.” I find it interesting that Romance studies itself does not come from a particular area, however, phenomenon such as romance languages stem from particular areas. Therefore, I would have assumed romance studies would come from those same areas.

5 Replies to “RMST 202 INTRODUCTION”

1. Nice to meet you and read about why you chose to take this course! I agree, the outline of this class is one I have never encountered. I am excited to work through it together!

2. Hi Sophia! I’m also excited to read novels that I typically would never pick out on my own because sometimes those are the most surprising haha

3. Hi Sophia! I too am very excited to branch out from my typical reading genres. Some of my favourite books have turned out to be books I only came to fully understand by studying them in an academic setting. I agree that the course grading options are super cool!

4. Hi Sophia! Thank you for the blog post! I too have never been exposed to this type of literature, so it should be cool to expose ourselves to new material! I also definitely agree with you about the grading system, it’s great to have that freedom!

5. Hello! I enjoyed reading your post 🙂 I also enjoy snow sports and hiking! Like you, i feel like the grading system will take off a lot of pressure this semester