Concluding Post

I must say this class was definitely a new class structure for me, but I really enjoyed it. For starters, due to the contract and pre-determined grade in this class, I never really felt overwhelmed or stressed by this class, which definitely helped put me at ease. I also enjoyed how every week, it was the same routine, which made this class more flexible for me as I knew exactly how much time I would have to set aside for it. I liked how we only had one class a week as it helped me catch up on the readings if I ever felt I had fallen a bit behind. I never really felt stuck or lost at any point of the semester, and always felt like I had a way of expressing if there was something I didn’t quite understand, which is greatly appreciated. The other aspect of this course that really stuck out to me was the constant communication. After being online for an entire year, it was nice to sit in a classroom where conversations between peers were encouraged. This was really cool to me as I am in my second year and never got to experience that aspect of a university course until this semester. It was nice to have the diversity between smaller and larger discussions where you got to hear everyone’s ideas or perspectives on the books we read. I always looked forward to reading the blog posts or going to class to listen to everyone’s favourite characters or least favourite, and hearing the differences in the way people perceived parts of the books compared to others. I felt like hearing everyone’s perspective really opened my eyes to ideas that stuck out to them, that I would have never interpreted on my own. This really helped broaden my perspective on the importance of the stories we read. This course also opened my perspective to other genres of books that I would have never explored on my own, but was pleasantly surprised by. The books that stuck out to me the most were The Time of the Doves, as I felt true sympathy for Nataliya and will never forget how I felt reading about her contemplation of whether or not to kill her children. Bonjour Tristesse was another one that stuck out to me, mostly because I felt like it was the book that I could relate to the most. I could understand where Cecile was coming from to a certain extent, and I know how it feels wanting to gain the control of your parent’s attention when you feel it drifting to a step parent. Lastly, I want to say thank you to all the instructors, even though this course was a requirement for me, I really enjoyed it!

Questions:

Which texts was your favorite, or stood out to you the most? Why was it your favorite?

3 Replies to “Concluding Post”

1. Hi! I really agree with you, the consistency of this course made me feel set up to succeed! I also really enjoyed the classroom aspect of constant conversations. This is also one of the only classes where I feel heard by the professor!

2. Also! The book that stood out to me the most was either Agostino or Shrouded women – they were just unlike anything I have ever read!