El Puente de Brooklyn

Martí presents New York through an understanding of its architecture. He constructively describes the Brooklyn Bridge as a structure that was created from points on a piece of paper. It is almost surreal that a few dots became a bridge and that same structure became dots again through his vivid description. His use of quasi-technical words reflects the strength of the materials used to build the bridge.

Different kinds of steel were used in the construction and Martí names each of them precisely. I depended on my dictionary until I saw “hierro” and realized that some of the construction terminologies were phonetically the same in colloquial Filipino but orthographically different and reading out loud would be the best way to approach the text.

The bridge symbolically fortifies the link between people regardless of their race. The structure bridges the spatial gap, allowing the people to freely go from one point to another. Personally, the text provides an intrinsic link between two languages.