las tres madres de mexico

I love this book, I knew that I would love it, I’ve been excited to read it for a while now.

My favourite stories so far have been “My Lucy Friend who Smells Like Corn” and “Mericans”.

I especially liked the character of the awful grandmother in “Mericans”.
I found this story to say a lot about chicanos born in the United States to Mexican parents, growing up speaking spanglish, without a firm grasp on Spanish i.e “the awfulgrandmother says it all in Spanish, which I understand when I’m paying attention” (19), it was also funny when the woman outside the church was surprised to learn that the children spoke English. To me this represents the unique border identity of chicanos and their ability to be both Mexican and American at the same time.

Cisneros writes about “las tres madres de mexico” (a concept that is common in writing by Chicana women and that Gloria often wrote about)…Guadalupe, the virgin mother whhas not abandoned her people, la Malinche/Malintzin, the raped mother and mother of mestizaje, and la Llorona, la madre que grita y llora para sus hijos perdidos.

My favourite was this line: “La Virgen de Guadalupe on the main altar because she’s a big miracle, the crooked crucifix on a side altar because that’s a little miracle” (18), this really shows how much la virgen is revered in Mexico and how Jesus is important to the religion of the country but his presence is not as widespread and is not as characteristic of mexican culture.

La virgen de guadalupe es la “reina de mexico” y era un milagro mexicano, pero jesucristo es importante para todos los cristianos, la virgen es para los mexicanos.

Those who know me know that I am fascinated by the virgen de guadalupe and the symbolism and culture surrounding her veneration. So, the fact that cisneros refers to la virgen in her writing just makes me love her a little bit more.

She also talks about la Llorona in “Woman Hollering Creek”…”Perhaps la Llorona is the one they named the creek after, she thinks, remembering all the stories she learned as a child” (51). La Llorona, the wailing woman, is a very important figure in this story and in mexican folklore.

Lastly, Cisneros creates an image of la Malinche/Malintzin in the stoy “Never Marry a Mexican” in which the narrator takes on the role of la malinche, with Drew as Cortez.
La Malinche was given the nickname “la Chingada”, because as gloria says, she was the raped mother of mexico, an indigenous woman who gave birth to the first mestizo.

When I read this: “I was there first, always. I’ve always been there, in the mirror, under his skin, in the blood, before you were born” (76) it immediately made me think that the narrator, as la Malinche was talking about mexico, that her people had always been there, before the Spaniards and before the mestizos. That this story of a man cheating on his wife with her (la malinche/la chingada/la puta, the opposite of the pure virgen de guadalupe) to me symbolizes how mexico was taken advantage of and violated by the Spaniards. Maybe I’m way off, maybe you don’t agree…maybe I’ve read too much gloria anzaldua and see the virgen/puta dichotomy in everything…but that’s how I saw it when I read it.

Okay that’s it for now, can’t wait to read more of this book.