Cisneros #2

Overall, I’ve quite enjoyed Cisneros’ work. The short, quick, succinct stories were refreshing, and yet managed to be complex. The short stories took a deep look at human relationships, with a clear focus on abuse towards women, and their struggles in an especially sexist society. I think it’s fair to say that for the most part, Cisnero is quite bitter about men, a possible reflection of her own life experiences.

I enjoyed how the book was ordered around growth, and aging. Cisnero is successfull at being true to the innocence of childhood, and as the book progresses, provides a realistic account of different stages of life. Cisnero was really good at making the reader understand and feel like the characters with her true to life writing and stories.

What I found was a slight disadvantage to the book were, in some cases, its short chapters. At first glance, they seem very random, unrelated; almost pointless. However, as we explored today with the Malborough Man story, upon further exploration, these stories prove to be an account of Chicano life which relates to the rest of the book.