Down These Mean Streets (Part 1)

I have really enjoyed this book so far. As I was reading the first part I found myself very attentive in learning more about Piri’s life with every page that passed. Two aspects of the book that stuck out for me were Piri’s sense of wanting to belong and the mother’s longing for Puerto Rico, the place that she is able to identify with the most.

A quote which resonated with me in the book was one where the mother remembers the people in Puerto Rico and her life over there. She says, “I like los Estados Unidos, but it’s sometimes a cold place to live-not because of the winter and the landlord not giving heat but because of the snow in the hearts of the people”. I feel that this is something that many immigrants can understand and often find themselves trying to become accustomed to in their new country and community. For many of these immigrants such as described by Piri’s mother, it is difficult to become used to a society that is cold, individualistic and has not much depth to it whatsoever. In places like Puerto Rico, and I would say the majority of Latin American countries, the feelings of warmth and camaraderie with each other are very much prevalent. Even if you find yourself in an unfavourable economic situation you still are able to find the good in life, that warmth in your heart that brings you joy. Though many live in difficult life circumstances they are still living life joyfully and are satisfied with life itself. Moving from one of these countries to a place like New York where one can probably find more advantages in growing, economic stability and success is a complete cultural and societal change. These Latin American societies have a general idea of maintaining close interpersonal relationships, enjoyment of life and having warm and close relationships with your friends, family and those who live in your community. For people moving away from these kinds of societies such as Piri’s mom it is tough to become used to how the people in their new country live such solitary and individualistic lives.

I look forward in continuing this book and reading about Piri’s life and the difficulty of looking for his belonging and approval within society. I believe that many can relate to this story of a boy trying to find who he is and with this constantly experiencing racism, prejudice and violence.

3 thoughts on “Down These Mean Streets (Part 1)

1. cynthia lightbody

Hi!

Piri’s mother’s connection to Puerto Rico also stood out to me! When she describes “the snow in the hearts of the people”, I instantly remembered that a very close friend once mentioned something similar to this too after moving here from Mexico. It’s interesting that warmth not only describes climate, but more importantly people’s hearts. Getting used to living in a place that gets very cold at times is hard, but what’s harder is dealing with the “cold” culture.

2. RachelCervantes

Hola chica!

I completely agree about Latin American countries having a warmer and more loving feel to it.
    One thing that amazes me when I lived in developing countries is seeing how happy they are despite of how little they have. Relationships have more depth and people are not trying to out do each other, though I’m not disregarding the fact that it is possible. Whereas in developed countries, people try to attain the highest standard of living and have this workaholic culture, and sadly relationships are neglected through this.

3. Curtis Holt-Robinson

Hey!

I like you’re focus on Piri’s mother and her telling her story of Puerto Rico. When she was reminiscing, remembering the beautiful scenery and wonderful climate, she talks about how the community she lived in loved and cared for her. I like that you talked about her experience, because we can see in this book that the sense of community and belonging is very rare. It seems as if their poverty united them, rather than put them at odds with one another.

Super excited to see where this book goes, well done!
    -Curtis HR