A Raunchy Will Ferrell Super Bowl: Why My Attitude Towards Old Milwaukee Changed

Being in Canada, we (fortunately or unfortunately) miss out on some Super Bowl ads.  This year, we missed out on an ad (it was only aired in a few cities nationwide) by Old Milwaukee starring:  Will Ferrell!  The commercial features the “Anchorman” star necking with a middle-aged Asian woman on public transit while, after a disturbing moment or two, the camera zooms out to a 6-pack of Old Milwaukee and then back to the couple.

Personally when I first watched the ad, I was disturbed by this commercial (although that may have had something to do with Ferrell’s moustache).  However, I started laughing a couple seconds in because Will Ferrell’s basketball uniform reminded me of his stupidly funny movie “Semi-Pro”.  Eventually though, I started to feel sick and physically cringed.

Consequently, this commercial is now a psychological factor in my attitude towards Old Milwaukee, the discount lager (which I’ve never had before).  The ad didn’t leave me with the greatest impression of the product.  Furthermore, if the social reference group the ad depicts is that “obnoxiously affectionate couple” then I would probably try to dissociate myself from Old Milwaukee as quickly as possible.

But then again, it is just a Will Ferrell ad, and the product itself isn’t necessarily aimed at me.  It’s aimed at people who want to buy beer at a lower price.

If I ever find myself wanting cheap beer though, I’ll probably pick Old Milwaukee because even though I won’t be able to get that disgusting image of those two anytime soon, I’ll still laugh every single time I imagine Will Ferrell.  It’s unfortunate that more people didn’t see the ad.

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/will-ferrell-smooches-his-way-through-another-old-milwaukee-super-bowl-ad-147019