Literature review: Exploration of clinical efficacy of alendronate on periodontal health

Alendronate is a type of bisphosphonate used for osteoporosis patients. Use of bisphosphonate has been negatively viewed among dental professionals, as there has been evidence of bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis of jaw. Recently, there have been researches on use of alendronate as a therapeutic mechanism for chronic and aggressive periodontitis. So far the initial human-researches suggest positive outcomes of alendronate as the anti-osteoclast property of the chemical reduced the progression of the periodontal diseases. Although the research was at a preliminary phase, as a dental hygiene professional, I believe that by following up with current research would help me to gain various perspectives regarding periodontics-related topics, especially controversial issues like the use of alendronate. These creative treatments for periodontitis might later expand our scope of practice in conjunction with traditional periodontal therapy, which will increase my professionalism.