End to WEEK 1 of Practicum at ANNIEVILLE ELEMENTARY

I had waited so patiently for this practicum to start. I wanted to jump in and get started, however, I learned to control my enthusiasm!

This week has taught me a lot. The reality is very different. As a teacher your plan to stay on task and get certain tasks accomplished is unlikely. There are so many unexpected concerns, challenges and issues that come about that a teacher has to address in the midst of the day plan. Not everything a teacher plans will happen accordingly. There is always a shortage of time. Also, one task is not done in just one lesson. So much to do and such little time.

In my first week I taught my SEL lesson. It was the third lesson that I had done with the class. I do not know if it is a good thing or bad, but I was not nervous. I had a lesson plan ready, however, I went with the flow of the class and the reactions of the students. My SEL lesson was done within 40 min, which I was very happy with. The kids were engaged throughout the activity. Towards the end the kids were a bit more distracted but it was not too bad. I was very surprised as the behaviour of some of the student. The kids that are known to “act out” or those who were “easily distracted” were on their best behaviour and those who are always on task were acting like jokers.

The one aspect I do have place more focus on is the pause time. It is OKAY if I have to wait a little while for the all the students to settle down. I used the bell to get the students attention but there were times where the students were not interested in listening. They were able to quiet down but continued to chit chat with some of their group member.

After my teaching experience, I want to challenge myself by engaging the students in more complex activities. These activities might involve drama. I have learned that is okay for a lesson to plan. It is okay, as this is the only way to learn what works and what does not.

Let’s see what next week has in store!

IMG_8317                                      IMG_8316

Read 1 comment

1. It is so true that the practice of teaching is fraught with the need for flexibility and going with the flow of the students and the day. This is a lesson that is quick for anyone entering the field to learn.
    It is important to have wait time until they are all focused and quiet in order to proceed. sometimes that feels like forever but the students soon understand that you won’t begin or move forward until there is quiet and focus. As Steve has said, ‘the pregnant pause’ seems to last nine months but is not really as long as it feels.