Reflection: Unit One, Unit Two, and Unit Three

What have I learned?

Unit One Reflection Blog

Completing the writing exercises in Unit One has been an insightful learning experience for me. For the assignment where we were tasked with writing three definitions, I focused on understanding how to write a properly formatted definition in technical writing. This required breaking down complex concepts into simple language, making them more accessible to readers. It also made me aware of the importance of considering my audience’s level of technical understanding when writing.

During the peer review process, I had the opportunity to analyze another person’s writing style and identify areas where I could improve my own writing. This helped me to develop critical thinking skills and honed my ability to provide constructive feedback to my peers to improve their writing. Reviewing the work of others allowed me to recognize the value of analyzing different writing styles.

Through the editing process, I focused on revising my own work while keeping the perspective of others in mind. I aimed to present my ideas in a clear and concise manner, making them more accessible to a wider audience. I learned how to evaluate my writing from multiple viewpoints and recognized the importance of being concise in technical writing. In particular, I removed technical terms such as “artificial neural networks” and “manual feature extraction” from my definitions, based on the feedback from my peer review. This allowed me to present my ideas in a clear and concise manner, making them more accessible to a wider audience.

In conclusion, the exercises in Unit One have helped me gain a deeper understanding of technical writing and develop important skills for future writing projects. Analyzing and improving my own writing, reviewing the writing of others, and receiving constructive feedback from my peer were all invaluable learning experiences. Overall, I believe that my writing skills have expanded to include the ability to communicate technical information to a wider audience.

Revised Definition of Machine Learning

Peer’s Review of Machine Learning Definition

Unit Two Reflection Blog

Reflecting on the process of researching how to create a LinkedIn profile, I realized that even though I had an existing profile, there was still so much to learn about best practices and how to be a competitive candidate in today’s workforce. It was an enjoyable experience to learn more about creating a professional social media network like LinkedIn. I realized that in today’s job market, having a well-crafted LinkedIn profile could be a valuable tool for job seekers.

As for the process of brainstorming and preparing my report proposal and outline, I feel that it has been a great way to stay organized and on track. I feel much more capable and prepared now that I have created and distributed my student surveys. Creating an outline has helped me to organize my thoughts and ideas, making the report writing process much smoother.

While I feel that I have a decent sense of how to put together a formal report as a second-degree student, I am still looking forward to the finished report as this is my first time creating a report based on student responses that I have collected myself. It will be interesting to see how the data I have collected will shape the final report.

During the peer review process, reviewing Sangita’s proposal also helped me improve my own proposal. Some of the questions that arose when I read her proposal made me realize that I should make some clarifications in my own proposal. For example, specifying the mode of the survey. This peer review process was helpful in identifying potential shortcomings in my writing, and it was great to hear another perspective to ensure that my writing is clear and concise.

Overall, the peer review process has been very helpful in identifying weaknesses in my writing and has allowed me to improve my writing skills. I was surprised by the quality of my colleagues’ work, and it was great to see the different perspectives they brought to the table. As I move forward in the report writing process, I will make sure to expand on the details of my proposed solution in the final report and I have already updated the audience for my report. Peer reviewing has definitely impacted my view of my writing and I look forward to continuing to improve my skills in the next unit.

Report Proposal: Increasing Available Co-op Positions for UBC Students

Peer Review of My Report Proposal

Unit Three Reflection Blog

Writing a formal report draft was an enriching experience that provided me with valuable research, organization, and writing skills. During my research, I learned the importance of critically evaluating sources and selecting only credible and relevant ones that support the purpose of my report. For instance, my report focused on unemployment faced by hard-working co-op students, and I made sure to look for sources that were specific to this topic rather than general articles on unemployment.

Organizing my report was also a crucial part of the process, and I learned how to create sections that were easy to comprehend and flow logically. Breaking down the complex topic into smaller sections helped me ensure that I covered all necessary information and presented my ideas coherently. This approach made it easier for the reader to understand the content and ideas presented.

In terms of writing, I realized that clear and concise communication is vital in effectively conveying ideas and data. By skillfully incorporating credible sources and data to support my claims, I was able to make a more persuasive argument. I also learned how to adapt my writing style and language to the intended audience and effectively communicate the purpose of the report.

Reviewing my classmate’s report was a valuable learning experience that provided me with a fresh perspective on report writing. It allowed me to understand different approaches to report writing and learn from the strengths and weaknesses of someone else’s work. For instance, I noticed that my classmate included a bullet point summary of her suggestions in the conclusion, which is something I will now be incorporating in my report. Peer review helped me develop a new perspective and approach to my report.

Overall, the process of researching, organizing, writing, and reviewing a formal report draft has taught me invaluable skills that I can apply to future projects. It has taught me how to critically evaluate sources, structure reports in an intuitive and coherent way, and communicate ideas effectively to the intended audience.

Formal Report Draft