Froyo Through the Years

In my 18 years of existence, I have noticed many trends come and go right before my eyes. But the fever for one industry in particular doesn’t seem like it will cool down any time soon. Frozen yoghurt has been around since the 1980’s with Yogen Früz and TCBY, but these chains never impacted the world as much as the new generation of “froyo” businesses.  I have seen countless Instagram photos of giant froyo towers generously covered in toppings. (I am also guilty). Common franchises found in Vancouver include Menchies, Qoola, and Pinkberry.

So what’s different about these newer froyo chains that has caused such a phenomenon?

My instagram post of “Waffle Wednesdays” at the Westbrook branch of Menchies

• self-serve option
  • innovative flavours (such as red velvet cupcake) and exciting toppings (every kid’s dream)
  • modern, “chill” store environment
  • media attention (celebrities love froyo!)

The success of companies such as Menchies can be attributed to the extensive knowledge of consumer behaviour. That is, understanding of how consumers make decisions as a result of their needs, wants, values, and of course social factors. And in an increasingly health-conscious generation, the concept of delicious yet healthy (well, healthier than ice cream at least) is more popular than ever.

Globe and Mail Article

RE: Kristina B’s “Blackberry provides soil and nutrients for Motorola”

While much murmur as of recent is about Blackberry’s failures and RIM’s downfall, Kristina B’s blog catches an interesting idea about the opportunities that result in such event. In her post, she includes the tag “SWOTOpportunity”, as the article links well to the swot analysis topic discussed in class. She explains that Motorola’s decision to expansion in to Waterloo Ontario

Thanks to Blackberry, Waterloo, Ontario has grown in to a “technology hub”

couldn’t have come at a better time as Blackberry announced to lay off more than 4500 employees. She explains that as a result, the influx of unemployed, skilled engineers will head on over to Motorola, “whose goal in expanding to Waterloo was to absorb the area’s wealth of talent”.

Like Kristina, I agree that Motorola is to be commended for planning ahead and recognizing the opportunity to fill in Blackberry’s shoes in the technology hub that is Waterloo. Motorola Canada’s engineering director Derek Phillips states that “Part of the reason we want to be in K-W is that it’s a never-ending source of talent[.]”, including that of graduating University of Waterloo students. I believe that the expansion in to region is mutually beneficial for both Motorola and the region. As much as Motorola benefits from the expansion, the company also maintains the growth of the “technology hub” and hopefully keep talent in the area.

Picture

Location Matters!

As my friend leaves for New York today as part of her job as a regional merchandising manager of Aritzia, I decided to look in to the Vancouver-based women’s fashion boutique expansion in to the US market.

One word in particular screamed at me: location.

Take Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, New York. It is home to Aritzia’s 13,000-square-foot flagship store. Fifth Avenue is prestigiously known as one of the “most expensive street[s] in the world“, inhabited by countless luxurious boutiques. However, true New Yorkers know that this street is split in to two strip: “Lower Fifth” and “Upper Fifth”. Aritzia on the other hand is strategically located right in the middle, where high fashion meets fast fashion.

Aritzia strive to provide a sophisticated yet welcoming shopping environment

This is a reflection of Aritzia’s target market of aspirational shoppers. That is, stylish women who can’t always afford luxury brands but will not settle for fast fashion brands.Furthermore, while Aritzia doesn’t rely on traditional marketing such as advertisements, the up-scale location speaks for itself. As an avid shopper myself, the location of stores definitely impacts my perception of a brand.

Even Brian Hill, the founder of Aritzia, attributes the company’s success to that one word, location.

Globe and Mail Article

Canadian Business Article

Picture – Inside a Store

Vine: Changing the Marketing Game Once Again

Vine is a Twitter-owned mobile app that has garnered worldwide attention. It was released in January 2013, and became the most used video-sharing app within a couple of months.. This app enables users to shoot and share videos of up to six seconds long in a continual loop.

Vine quickly became the number one free app at the iOS App Store

Check this out: Urban Outfitters Vine

Urban Outfitters is just one of many businesses that have jumped on the chance to promote their brand with Vine. A six second video to create a lasting impression, what? Well to start, the simplistic feel of the app has been appealing as of lately – see Apple. The time limitation  also caters to our short attention span, and encourages creativity.

For small businesses especially, I think Vine is a viable and effective option. In this day and age where social media holds a powerful influence, it is a great way to promote the brand as well as interact with consumers. Not to mention, it’s way cheaper than many other forms of advertising – the app is free!

Own a business and looking to get inspired? Here are a few more examples of Vine marketing.

Globe and Mail Article

Picture – iOS App Store Top Free Charts