Not a “Let’s save Africa” Project

Social entrepreneurship is a growing concept that serves as a marriage between business and change-making. While many companies focus on maximizing profit, social enterprises tackle social problems often at a cost. But in an ever so socially-conscious generation, it makes a business that much more attractive.

While I was going over the obligatory readings about the Arc Initiative and entrepreneurship, I decided to further extend my studies by visiting the project’s Sauder website. In the “About Arc” section, it states:

“[this] is not a “Let’s Save Africa” project.”

Because it’s not: Arc is an opportunity for professors and students to aid local local business management (in South Africa, Ethiopia, and Columbia in 2012) by providing business skills workshops to entrepreneurs.

Me in Nuevo Amanecer back in March 2012

Last spring, I embarked on an 11 day trip to Guatemala with a school club where I lived among locals in a small railroad-side village and was involved in the construction of a small local school during my stay. With this experience in mind, I am certainly interested in learning more about the Arc Initiative. The fact that I can use all that I have learned in a first year business course – COMM 101 – and guide others in the real world is simply amazing.

Picture: Arc Initiative Logo