Who We Are

Introductions:

Chloe Slessor:

I am currently in my third year here at UBC studying Applied Animal Biology in the Land and Food Systems faculty. I have always had a passion for animals and therefore, took an interest in biology quite young. I have a dog at home who’s almost 11. His name is Toddy and he’s a soft coated wheaten terrier. I have also always had a big interest in horses as my mum used to ride when we lived in England. I picked up riding a few years ago back in Montreal and ride an amazing 17 year old horse called Porto. My sister still rides quite a bit out at the barn so I spend a decent amount of time during the summer out there helping to clean stalls ascreen-shot-2016-09-21-at-1-21-10-pmnd groom the horses. Asides from animals, I have always had a side interest in law. Interestingly enough, I plan on going to law school once my undergrad is completed. I hope to find a career that combines law as well as animal welfare. I would really like to spend the rest of
my career working to improve the conditions that many animals in captivity live in and feel as if I am making a difference to better their lives.

Yining (Angela) An:

I am a third year student studying Nutritional Science at UBC. During FNH 250 lecture, I learned how macronutrient and micronutrient intake influence human health, as well as disscreen-shot-2016-09-21-at-1-24-22-pmeases caused by deficient or excessive intake. This course inspired me to learn more about how nutrients uptake relates to our body, and also this course let me make my mind to major in nutritional science. During last reading break, I volunteered at Flourance Nightingale Elementary, which aimed at educating kids what is a healthy breakfast should be and why we are supposed to consume less unhealthy food. Through this experience
I realized that kids can concentrate more on study if they consume a nutritious breakfast, and this is the main reason why I would like to be a part of this program. I hope I can use what I learned from lectures into real life in order to help people around me and also myself to improve the quality of our life.

Mercy Wanalo:

I am a third year student pursuing a Bsc degree in Food Nutrition and Health. Before commencing my studies at the University of British Columbia, I volunteered with the Nutrition Department of a local public hospital in Kisumu Kenya for three months. During that time, I worked closely with expectingscreen-shot-2016-09-21-at-1-29-04-pm and lactating mothers, and children under five years of age, providing nutritional advice, assessing malnutrition, promoting breastfeeding, family planning and other healthy behaviours. These experiences prompted me to realize the precarious situations in which low income families find themselves and inspired me to pursue a career in health nutrition in order to focus on improving healthcare quality. I like to think of myself as an adventurer because I get thrilled by exciting experiences whether it’s skydiving or skinny dipping or taking a trip across the world, you name it and I am your girl. I enjoy spending time with people although it doesn’t always seem like it until I get comfortable with an individual. I guess this would be partly because I come from a relatively big family. I am the youngest in a family of 6 and so I did spend a significant amount of time in my childhood around people. Of late I have discovered that I actually do find so much pleasure in seeing things come to life like say seeing a project that I am working on or an event that I am organizing as part of my involvements on campus materialize. In my free time I bike around campus or take a trip to the beach or watch my favorite TV shows. I also tend to spend a significant amount of time on Youtube. I am really excited about this project and am certain that my teammates and I will learn a lot and have fun while at it.

Nika Maghsoud:
I’m a third year student in the Food, Health and Nutrition major at UBC. I was born in Iran and moved to Canada at the age of 10. I pursued this major because I am very passionate about nutrition and health. I hope to reduce food insecurity and food related health isscreen-shot-2016-09-21-at-1-35-24-pmsues around the world through the knowledge I gain in this major. Every year I visit Iran and witness many families undergo food insecurity, and I am very motivated to reduce food insecurity around the world.  I enjoy playing sports such tennis and volleyball and dedicate lots of time to my fitness. I train at the gym at least three times a week to attain a fit and healthy body; working out also reduces my stress and boosts my mood. I love meeting new people because I believe every new acquaintance allows me to gain valuable and unique knowledge. Equality in any aspect around the world such as gender, health, and food is very important to me. I’m eager to try as hard as I can to increase food security in my community through this project because I believe every child deserves food security.

Claire O’Brien: 

I’m currently in 4th year of the Global Resources Program , with a focusscreen-shot-2016-09-21-at-1-30-51-pm on sustainable agriculture. Growing up on the west coast of Vancouver Island surrounded by old growth rainforest instilled a love for nature in me at a young age, which has now evolved into a passion for conservation. What I love about my university program is that it allows a blending of sciences and humanities, an interdisciplinary approach often breeds diverse solutions to complex
problems.

screen-shot-2016-09-21-at-1-33-43-pmKate Stafford:

I am a UBC student studying  Food Nutrition and Health. Some of my interests include cooking, running, skiing, and fashion. The reason I chose to be part of the Breakfast Club of Can
ada is because of the impact I believe starting everyday with a healthy Breakfast has. It is the meal that restarts up your metabolism and gives you energy that you carry with you for the rest of the day. For students it is so important to eat breakfast before going to school because it helps children learn, stay engaged, and attentive throughout their day. The Breakfast club of Canada is supporting the development and growth of students across Canada, and I am so excited to be a part of it and see how I can make a difference in this organization.