Biomedical Engineering

Name: Kat Louman-Gardiner,
M.A.Sc.

Job Title: Biomedical Engineering Lab Coordinator

Company: Center for Hip Health and Mobility at Vancouver General Hospital

Industry: Biomedical

What I Do

I work as the Biomedical Engineering Lab Coordinator for the Center for Hip Health and Mobility at Vancouver General Hospital. As Lab Coordinator, I’m in charge of all the test equipment we use to perform our research.

The Center for Hip Health and Mobility has 3 main focuses: bone health, arthritis, and injury prevention. So there are a wide variety of biomechanical research projects underway, that usually involve some mechanical testing of biological tissues. This can include breaking bones, or doing tensile tests on ligaments. All of these tests require sophisticated and precise mechanical testing equipment, as well as accurate imaging or motion capture. It’s my job to make sure we have all the correct equipment, that it all works properly, and is calibrated correctly.

A Day in the Life

My days can be widely varied. Some days are spent in front of the computer, but others are spent getting my hands dirty. Sometimes I’ll be in the lab all day helping run the equipment for a research project, or assembling, or calibrating equipment.

My favorite days are spent in the machine shop; If we need a custom rig for alignment, or for a specific test, it is often my job to design and build it.

Why My Job Is Great

My job is great because I get to work on a huge variety of exciting projects that could change the face of bone health in the medical field. The results from our lab have real effects on the quality of life on patients here in Vancouver. It’s pretty exciting to be part of something that can have such an impact.

My job is also great, because I work with so many different people, and do so many different things on a day-to-day basis. I get to build professional relationships, and work with teams.

The Downside

Sometimes, if I’m researching new equipment, or writing standard operating procedures, my entire day can be in front of the computer. Those days aren’t terribly exciting…

Kat and her sled

Off the Job

While I was doing my Masters in Calgary, I got involved with the Canadian National Bobsleigh Team. It was an incredible experience! I got to travel around the world and compete on behalf of Canada.

Now I’ve retired from the team, and am occupying my time playing ultimate Frisbee, hiking, rock climbing, cycling, and pretty much anything outdoorsy I can think of.

Experiences to Learn From

I’m definitely still learning. My experiences at UBC gave me not only the technical knowledge to do my job well, but I learned how to learn, work with people, take initiatives on projects, and balance my work time with fun and activity. I’d say the most important thing I learned is how to balance my school/work life with my activities. I feel that I need the sports to stay happy and healthy. So I’ve had to learn to do both school/work and sports.

The Best Part

The best part of my job is the freedom I get. I can take initiative and come up with projects that could improve the lab. It also means I can be flexible with my work schedule so I have time for all my sports.

My Advice to You

Work Hard. Play Hard.

That’s the easiest way to get the best of both worlds, stay sane, and stand out. Also, HAVE FUN!